Lg cd-rw with 9.2, firmware only for non oem?

McKinney83

When i looked into 9.2 i found i had to update my firmware for my Lg CED 8120B cd-rw drive.

When i download the firmware the readme says

This upgrade is not designed for drives manufactured HP, IBM, Compaq, Dell or any other OEM {Original Equipment Manufacturer} customers, please contact the OEM for all firmware updates and support for your OEM drive.

I have an IBM netvista 6833-25u and ive looked on ibm's site for the firware upgrade, but couldn't find any information. So I was wondering if this is just LG covering themselves in case it doesn't work, or if I could really mess up my drive?

Figurued this would be the best place to ask.

Thanks for any info

Just to answer the first question, in case anyone else has the same problem:

I ran into the LG dead drive phenomenon, and I didn't really enjoy it one bit...

Some of the nasty parts: naturally, I didn't realise the compaq I was installing on had one such drive, it just said Compaq...

So, the install failed, and the cdrom was still in the drive.

But the fix explicitly tells you you are not allowed to have any disc in there. Right....

Anyway, I used the firmware for that particular drive (8122 if I recall correctly), and all was well.

So I guess that that is just their way to steer away from their responsabilities,....

But then again, there are no guarantees in life.

In my case, the drive was already dead, so I had little to risk...

In everyone elses case, the risk is all theirs.. :)