Powersave

AussieJohn

I am running 2010.2 Spring as my OS now.

I am on a normal desktop computer, not a laptop.

Nowhere in KDE Control Centre (i.e. Configure Your Desktop) can I find an icon for Power Control or such like as I remember in 2010.0.

The result is that after couple of minutes or so (can't remember how long) after the screen saver cuts in, the system seems to go blank and nothing but a hard reset will bring the screen back up again.

This gives me the impression that laptop type power control is cutting in somehow and putting it into sleep mode or whatever. I could be wrong with that diagnosis so would appreciate some help here. What package am I possibly missing ???.

Cheers. John.

Hi John,

Sorry can't help you about KDE, as I'm not using it. However, with a desktop system, the laptop stuff wouldn't have gotten installed, so I don't expect this is the problem.

Even with desktop systems, the screensaver will work, and then in about 10 minutes the system puts the monitor in power save mode. There will be an option somewhere in KDE to sort this out - I just can't honestly tell you where as I've haven't used KDE since Mandriva 2007 or earlier.

The fact it's locking up, is hinting at something else - possibly a display driver problem. Sometimes I get it on my laptop in that the screensaver goes active, and I can't get it back to the keyboard, but I can CTRL-ALT-F2 to a console and then kill the gnome-screensaver, and then I've got access to my system again. Although I've not had it go to sleep and then not wake back up again, although maybe I had this once with Mandriva a while back, but then I had a crappy Nvidia 420 go or something that had like 16MB of memory.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

I have added all the laptop stuff because there was no Power Control Icon initially and I thought it must involve one of these packages but that was before I found this problem.

I might try removing all that I can find and see what results.

I am still open to other ideas though.

Cheers. John.

You could add one of these commands to /etc/rc.local

xset dpms 0 360 420

disables DPMS standby and sets the DPMS suspend time to 360 seconds and the off time to 420 seconds

xset -dpms

turns off screen power management

xset s off

turns off the screensaver.

Edited by daniewicz

Hello everyone.

Well I deleted every package that seemed to indicate some sort of Power Control.

Now when the screensaver comes on it operates for 10 minutes before going to a dark screen. But when I move the mouse the screen returns to normal. It does so even if it has been dark screen for more than 7 hours (while I was asleep).

So it was a power control package of some sort that was causing the lock down problem but with the absence of a Power Control Gui there was no way to change its effect. Thanks for your suggestion Daniel, but I made a decision long ago that I would avoid cli as much as possible and I think the present case is one example.

In this day and age it should not be necessary to use cli for such a mundane activity as this is, especially since a gui control of power has existed for years in Mandriva. But thanks again for your suggestion which is greatly appreciated. :thumbs:

A Few days ago I successfully clean installed Mandriva2010.2 on to a friends Dell Notebook which also resulted in a successful working WiFi to Telstra, from which I did all the updates. This delighted me no end since this was a first attempt and especially after all the sad stories I had read about WiFi implementation in Linux.

In that install I saw the Power Control Icon where I expected to see it and was able to set the parameters I wanted with no problems.

What really peeves me is that my Mandriva2010.2 was also a clean install and there was no resultant Icon. Drat Darn Drat Darn :wall: :wall: :lol:

Since the problem still exists in the sense that I have no effective power control, I am loathe to mark this thread as solved just yet even though I no longer get a locked down screen and computer.

By the way the earlier suggestion of using Ctrl+Alt+F2 did not work nor did any other combinations I have used over the years.

Eagerly awaiting further suggestions. Cheers. John.

Sounds like it locked everything up including the keyboard as well. Only the ALT-SYSRQ combination or the 5 second press of the power button would help here.

Your system is now behaving how it should. There in the GUI somewhere is a setting to decide how long (10 minutes) before display switches off. When you press the keyboard or move the mouse, it should wake the monitor up. And it's now doing this for you. The only outstanding problem for you, is finding in KDE where to modify this setting of 10 minute default for switching the monitor off.