HP Deskjet 712C printer not supported?

boatman9

You'd have to make sure cups is installed, and then in your web browser in the url bar type:

localhost:631

and configure it in here. I would expect that the kernel still has parallel port support.

On this computer I am using Mandriva 2010.0 with kernel 2.6.31.14-desktop586-1mnb. CUPS 1.4.1 is installed and accessible from the browser at http://localhost:631/. It's been working well with another HP inkjet printer connected by parallel port. Recently I swapped printers with a friend because his 712C did not have the USB connection he needed. Now I can't get the 712C to work with Linux, but it works using the Windows OS so I know the hardware connections are OK.

I can bring up the page at http://localhost:631/admin/ and click on "Add Printer" but nothing happens other than the page's title blinks briefly.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting back to this problem after being away for a couple weeks.

I loaded the modules using modprobe

modprobe lp

modprobe parport

modprobe parport_pc

Then I restarted cups from MLCC but the printer was not detected. I even retrieved my original HP 882C parallel port printer which had been working on this computer, but the 882C is no longer recognized. I had deleted the 882C from the configuration thinking I could easily reinstall it.