Mozilla - annoying me

aze

Solutions:

1) Well, anti-aliased fonts can be turned on as an compile option. Since older systems do not have Xft2 and fontconfig installed, Mozilla.org is wise to provide a version which can be used by the most number of Linux users out there.

Search Mandrake Cooker sites for the latest build compiled where Xft2 option is enabled.

Alternatively, Mozilla Firebird has gtk2+xft build always available at Mozillazine.org:

For eg.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...d/releases/0.7/

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...tly/latest-0.8/

(The latest nightly build for 0.8 branch)

2) Press Ctrl-N in your browser to introduce a new instance, or use the solutions provided by bigscott above.

3) Not really that hard, after install Java rpm from Sun or any other third party source, all you need to do is to make a symlink in the mozilla plugins directory:

For eg. using the latest JRE 1.4.2:

My mozilla directory is /usr/local/mozilla/

My Java directory is /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/

I suppose you are using Mozilla version >=1.4 (which is compiled with gcc 3.2+).

Here is how to do it:

$ su
# cd /usr/local/mozilla/plugins
# ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

(Notice the period in the end of the last command)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$ su
# cd /usr/local/mozilla/plugins

#!/bin/bash
REALPROGRAM=/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla
----------------------------------------------------
if [ -f ~/.mozillarunning ]; then
if [ ! -z $1 ]; then
if [ $1 == "-mail" ]; then
if [ ! -z $2 ]; then
$REALPROGRAM -remote "mailto($2)"
else
$REALPROGRAM -remote "xfeDoCommand(openInbox)"
fi
else
$REALPROGRAM -remote "openURL($1 , new-window)"
fi
else
$REALPROGRAM -remote "openURL(http://www.google.com, new-window)"
fi
else
touch ~/.mozillarunning
$REALPROGRAM $1
rm -f ~/.mozillarunning
fi

Guys, listen to me

I'm doing exactly what are you saying me but nothing works! :wall::wall::wall:

I Installed v. 1.6 and now also the flash plugin do not work. Yes! I tried to reinstall the plugin.

I'm going mad with mozilla. :screwy:

Strange, JRE 1.4.2 is working for mine. :unsure:

Please copy and paste the response of this command:

$ ls /usr/local/mozilla/plugins

Or, you can do the symlink for your user directory (which works ONLY for your account, however):

$ cd ~/.mozilla

$ mkdir plugins

$ cd plugins

$ ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

Edited by zero0w

$ su<!--QuoteEBegin--># cd /usr/local/mozilla/plugins<!--QuoteEBegin--># ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

#!/bin/bash<!--QuoteEBegin-->REALPROGRAM=/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla<!--QuoteEBegin-->----------------------------------------------------<!--QuoteEBegin-->if [ -f ~/.mozillarunning ]; then<!--QuoteEBegin-->if [ ! -z $1 ]; then<!--QuoteEBegin-->if [ $1 == "-mail" ]; then<!--QuoteEBegin-->if [ ! -z $2 ]; then<!--QuoteEBegin-->$REALPROGRAM -remote "mailto($2)"<!--QuoteEBegin-->else<!--QuoteEBegin-->$REALPROGRAM -remote "xfeDoCommand(openInbox)"<!--QuoteEBegin-->fi<!--QuoteEBegin-->else<!--QuoteEBegin-->$REALPROGRAM -remote "openURL($1 , new-window)"<!--QuoteEBegin-->fi<!--QuoteEBegin-->else<!--QuoteEBegin-->$REALPROGRAM -remote "openURL(http://www.google.com, new-window)"<!--QuoteEBegin-->fi<!--QuoteEBegin-->else<!--QuoteEBegin-->touch ~/.mozillarunning<!--QuoteEBegin-->$REALPROGRAM $1<!--QuoteEBegin-->rm -f ~/.mozillarunning<!--QuoteEBegin-->fi

Guys, listen to me

I'm doing exactly what are you saying me but nothing works!  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:

I Installed v. 1.6 and now also the flash plugin do not work. Yes! I tried to reinstall the plugin.

I'm going mad with mozilla.  :screwy:

You're not alone. Everyone keeps on saying how easy it is to get java working in mozilla, but I've tried installing java, making symlinks, changing my bash profile etc. and it doesn't work. I've got it working in previous installations and this time it doesn't work (I've tried j2re-1_4_1_02-linux-i586-rpm and j2re-1.4.1_01-5mdk.i586.rpm amongst others). It might be a "need to use the right compiler" problem but since there is no way to tell what compiler various sources compiled java with, or what mozilla was compiled with (not to mention I'm *not* going to download any more 20+MB files given my crappy connection.), I've given up and since I only really need java for one webpage, I installed java in Windows. And not only was the java download half the size of the one for Linux (why?) all you had to do was run an executable and it worked first go which was a godsend after spending an hour trying to get it to work in Mozilla and Konqueror. Seriously though, I don't know a single Linux browser where installing things like Java is trivial. Konqueror is easier than Mozilla since instead of making symlinks, changing your bash profile all you have to do is to point one of the options in the configuration to the right directory. However it doesn't seem to work (though I have got it working in the past). All the other major browsers are based on Mozilla so if you can't get it working in Moz don't bother. I haven't tried Opera, but the messages it gives me about it being buggy if you turn on Java and you should really be sure first, give me pause.

I've got to ask though. There are *three* mozilla directories in /usr/lib/. I wasn't sure which one was the correct one so I put the java plugin in all three. But why on earth are their three mozilla directories : mozilla, mozilla-1.1 and mozilla-1.4? Only Mozilla 1.4 is installed on my 9.2 system. *Sigh* I like Linux and would never go back to Windows, but when installing java goes, "First of all make sure your java plugin and browsers are compiled with the same compiler, then run the executable, then make symlinks (or just copy the plugin over) to the mozilla plugin directory in /usr/lib and since there are three different ones just try all 3 just in case, make some changes to your bash profile and voila" I really want to cry and bash my head against the wall (esp. since it still doesn't work, probably because of the compiler bit). Oh well, such is life (or Linux I guess in this case). I've never been very good at installing programs in Linux so maybe it's just me (9 times out of 10 I usually end up spending an hour or more trying to get it to work/compile/install). Which is why I tend to stick with the default install now and don't bother trying new versions of programs or other programs.

Edited by Uiler

For your information,

I believe only Java 1.4.2 (but not 1.4.1) supports Mozilla >=1.4, because only JRE 1.4.2 provides the plugin directory ns610-gcc32, which is not found in earlier version of JRE if my memory does not betray me B) .

Edited by zero0w

For your information,

I believe only Java 1.4.2 (but not 1.4.1) supports Mozilla >=1.4, because only JRE 1.4.2 provides the plugin directory ns610-gcc32, which is not found in earlier version of JRE if my memory does not betray me  B) .

Really? I might try it sometime when I have the time to download another huge file. Yes, I know I said I wouldn't try again but I guess there's something in me that just can't help but try again :lol:

I'm so hopeless.

Ok here comes the issue:

1) You got to know where you have installed Mozilla, if you have installed more than one version, then you must make sure which version you are running.

2) There IS a difference between the symlink path upon

Mozilla 1.0-1.3 vs Mozilla >=1.4

For Mozilla 1.0-1.3, you should do the symlink as follows:

# ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

For Mozilla >=1.4, you should do the symlink as follows:

The Mozilla comes with Mandrake 9.2 is version 1.4, in that case and for the later Mozilla version you should be doing symlink against the second path above.

For a safe bet, here is the way to do it against your user directory.

$ cd ~/.mozilla
$ mkdir plugins
$ cd plugins
$ ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

Notice the period in the "~/.mozilla" in the 1st line and at the end of the 4th line after "libjavaplugin_oji.so ."

The Sun rpm version of JRE 1.4.2 is only a 13MB+ download last time I remembered, which was two days ago. B)

Edited by zero0w

#!/bin/bash<!--QuoteEBegin-->REALPROGRAM=/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla<!--QuoteEBegin-->----------------------------------------------------<!--QuoteEBegin-->if [ -f ~/.mozillarunning ]; then<!--QuoteEBegin-->if [ ! -z $1 ]; then<!--QuoteEBegin-->if [ $1 == "-mail" ]; then<!--QuoteEBegin-->if [ ! -z $2 ]; then<!--QuoteEBegin-->$REALPROGRAM -remote "mailto($2)"<!--QuoteEBegin-->else<!--QuoteEBegin-->$REALPROGRAM -remote "xfeDoCommand(openInbox)"<!--QuoteEBegin-->fi<!--QuoteEBegin-->else<!--QuoteEBegin-->$REALPROGRAM -remote "openURL($1 , new-window)"<!--QuoteEBegin-->fi<!--QuoteEBegin-->else<!--QuoteEBegin-->$REALPROGRAM -remote "openURL(http://www.google.com, new-window)"<!--QuoteEBegin-->fi<!--QuoteEBegin-->else<!--QuoteEBegin-->touch ~/.mozillarunning<!--QuoteEBegin-->$REALPROGRAM $1<!--QuoteEBegin-->rm -f ~/.mozillarunning<!--QuoteEBegin-->fi

Guys, listen to me

I'm doing exactly what are you saying me but nothing works!  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:

I'm going mad with mozilla.  :screwy:

Sorry, but I just discovered that script that I posted only works if you already have a mozilla window open. I'm using Mozilla 1.5. I don't know if Mozilla 6 is different. Mozilla is so easy to get messed up though, as various other browsers in Mandrake's packages use part of Mozilla(I think) like Galeon and Netscape, and vice versa. That may be your problem. :huh:

If you haven't already, you might try un-installing mandrake's mozilla through Rpmdrake, and THEN try reinstalling your own version of Mozilla. I had to do this. Note the directory path that you install mozilla to and post it here so we can help. Also, go to a console, and type gcc -v and tell us what gcc version you are using. I'm using gcc 3.3.1, btw.

Edited by bigscott

Oops, my mistake, you should try instead

ls -l /usr/local/mozilla/plugins

The -l option will show the path which the symlink is linked upon.

Here is what my output looks like:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  root        37 Jan 16 16:55 flashplayer.xpt -> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/flashplayer.xpt*

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  root        39 Jan 16 16:55 libflashplayer.so -> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so*

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  root        67 Jan 16 16:55 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so*

-rwxrwxrwx    1 root  root        21056 Jan 13 14:10 libnullplugin.so*

Edited by zero0w

$ ls -l /usr/local/mozilla/plugins
total 24
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           52 Jan 18 09:41 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so*
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        21056 Jan 13 14:10 libnullplugin.so*

$ ls /usr/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/
libjavaplugin_oji.so*

<!--QuoteEBegin-->$ ls -l /usr/local/mozilla/plugins<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->total 24<!--QuoteEBegin-->lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           52 Jan 18 09:41 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /usr/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so*<!--QuoteEBegin-->-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        21056 Jan 13 14:10 libnullplugin.so*<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->$ ls /usr/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/<!--QuoteEBegin-->libjavaplugin_oji.so*<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->

From what we can see, the symlink path is linked to

.../ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so*

but instead it should be linked to

.../ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so*

As clearly as we can see now, you should remove JRE 1.4.1 and instead get the Sun JRE 1.4.2 RPM version, install it, and follow the procedures I have described earlier and specificially put a symlink to

{java plugin path}/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

in your Mozilla plugins directory.

The ns610-gcc32 vs ns610 really made the difference as go vs no-go-at-all, say when you are using Mozilla >=1.4 version.

As far as using the same profile in mozilla goes, I had to learn a bit of shell and got this to work. This will open a mozilla window whether one is already open or not, without asking your to choose a profile. Put the code below in a file called "mozilla" in /usr/bin, chmod it to 0755, and then just change the REALPROGRAM path to wherever your mozilla is installed. For example, my mozilla file is in /usr/local/mozilla, hence the path is /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla.

#!/bin/bash

REALPROGRAM=/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla

if [ -f ~/.mozillarunning ]; then

rm -f ~/.mozilla/default/*.slt/lock;

exec $REALPROGRAM

fi

else

exec $REALPROGRAM

Edited by bigscott