Mozilla - annoying me

aze

Hi all!

there are three questions about mozilla that are annoying me a lot.

1 - mozilla have no antialiasing for fonts.

2 - mozilla do not allow multiple instances using a single profile. :furious3::furious3::furious3:

3 - must be ultra-expert to install java plugin for mozilla. :wall: :wall:

Guys, I'm looking for another browser better than mozilla. I don't want browsers that have some kind of ADS or shareware. What do you guys reccommend?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant help you with fonts or mutiple browsers. but here is how I got mozilla firebird working with java.

I dont use the standard java .rpm (j2re) I use Texstars mozilla java:

ftp://mandrake-forum.org/pub/Texstar/MDK-...4-1tex.i586.rpm

After you install it it will put its own "java" folder in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins Folder. It will even link it for you. I had too many pissed off nights trying to get java working until I found Texstars .rpm.

What about Opera? Never used it myself.

Man I miss Texstar

:unsure:

aze........

though Moz can be frustrating for some to set up (plugins, fonts, etc.) it's really not that difficult. check out these Forum Search Results for a bunch of info on how to get Java & other things working in Moz. probably the easiest method to get Java working, is to use the RPM from the Forum Download Section .

if you're looking to try another browser, then i'd recommend trying Opera. the free version only has a tiny ad banner at the top & if you find you like it enough to pay for it, it's really inexpensive for the value you get. very easy to set up/install, plugins are a snap, far more customizable than Moz, & a helluva lot faster for browsing.

and, if you're a KDE user & looking for a free browser, why not give Konqueror a shot? it's really not that bad for what ya get. if you take a little time & explore the configurations in it, you can get it looking really nice, the plugins are easier to get working than Moz, it's faster than Moz (but not as fast as Opera), plus......it's free & you have it installed already!

Chris

Edited by chris z

3 - must be ultra-expert to install java plugin for mozilla.  :wall: :wall:

It should install the java into Mozilla for you. No need to add symlinks etc.

Its known to work flawlessly in most cases. (but not all)

If you use kde, why not just use konqueror?

It's a web browser, file browser, ftp client, manpage browser, etcetc.

It has tabs, multiple windows, split pages (something no other browser can do), etcetc.

You can set things up with profiles, so for instance to upload my website I set it up for ftp with the right folders open, then save the profile under a new name. Next time, I just open that profile. Or even faster, you can make an icon with

konqueror --profile [nameofprofile]

as the executed expression, and stick it on your taskbar. One click opens exactly what you want.

No adds, well integrated with kde, java works if it is installed, etcetc.

And on top of all, it is fast: to open and to browse the web.

konq has come a long way. What do you mean no AA fonts? It's had'em for a long time. I use them daily and have for a long time. I don't do anything special other than tell moz not to allow docs to use other fonts but to just use mine. Haven't had java install issue for a long time either. Sorry you have. Recently did for one day untill I realized that both java and moz must be compiled by the same gcc. Personally, I've always prefferred Galeon but if it doesn't work in moz it won't in galeon. Try opera....yeah, you'll love its fonts, lol. Talk about a pain to setup.

* Remove the java you have tried to set up

* from our d-load site, get this file. ftp://mandrake-forum.org/pub/Misc/j2re-1....1-5mdk.i586.rpm

It should install the java into Mozilla for you. No need to add symlinks etc.

Its known to work flawlessly in most cases. (but not all)

ok. I installed the rpm but nothing happens

Mozilla -> about:plugins do not show java.

Cant help you with fonts or mutiple browsers. but here is how I got mozilla firebird working with java.

I dont use the standard java .rpm (j2re) I use Texstars mozilla java:

ftp://mandrake-forum.org/pub/Texstar/MDK-...4-1tex.i586.rpm

After you install it it will put its own "java" folder in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins  Folder. It will even link it for you. I had too many pissed off nights trying to get java working until I found Texstars .rpm.

What about Opera? Never used it myself.

Man I miss Texstar

:unsure:

How did you get that to work for firebird? I got the rpm and tried running it and it says I need mozilla 1.4 to use it. I dont want 1.4 coz my firebird is so nice. :screwy: As for the profile thing, if you need a new browser open that bad all you need to do is click a link that opens in a new window. Tabbing is so much more nice I dont know why you would want to.

the rpm on this site doesn't work with firebird 0.7. i thought it did before, but i couldn't get it to work the other day. the Mozilla Firebird FAQ says firebird 0.7 needs j2re 1.4.2 or later.

you can download the rpm of 1.4.2 here on sun's site

you can easily find builds of firebird with gtk and xft built in (read: beautiful fonts). i know you can find it at the first link above, but i'm not sure if you'll have to go elsewhere for the mandrake rpms. some of these rpms might be good to add to this site's ftp server :)

chin808 -

I made a local mozillafirebird in my /home directory.

After installing the .tex.rpm I went into the /usr/lib/mozilla1.4/plugins and copied the java directory into my /home/Mozillafirebird/plugins

relinked the plugin and it works.

To be honest I copy all plugins to my local /home/Mozillafirebird/plugins I dont link them. I have had some trouble if I place them in the .phoenix directory. Or I have trouble useing any mozilla browser from the /usr/lib directory.

I found it just works putting everything in my /home directory. May be wise to point out I dont use the nightly build.

It may be good to explain why I place it all in my /home

I reinstall Mandrake on a weekly basis. You I want to learn as much as I can. The best way for me to learn is to break it, then to and fix it. :D

End result I reinstall every week. I did a --auto-select --noclean on the first time so I have a local update so I dont kill the update servers.

Back to the point:

I dont format my /home so on first boot I have a working MF with all plugins installed :thumbs:

Of course some dont work until I install stuff like acroread.

Hi all!

there are three questions about mozilla that are annoying me a lot.

1 - mozilla have no antialiasing for fonts.

2 - mozilla do not allow multiple instances using a single profile.  :furious3:  :furious3:  :furious3:

3 - must be ultra-expert to install java plugin for mozilla.  :wall: :wall:

Guys, I'm looking for another browser better than mozilla. I don't want browsers that have some kind of ADS or shareware. What do you guys reccommend?

Mozilla can run multiple instances with the same profile. I am running Mozilla 1.5 and found this fix on the net.

1. go to /usr/bin and make a file named "mozilla" and put the following in it:

#!/bin/bash

REALPROGRAM=/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla

if [ -f ~/.mozillarunning ]; then

if [ ! -z $1 ]; then

if [ $1 == "-mail" ]; then

if [ ! -z $2 ]; then

$REALPROGRAM -remote "mailto($2)"

else

$REALPROGRAM -remote "xfeDoCommand(openInbox)"

fi

else

$REALPROGRAM -remote "openURL($1 , new-window)"

fi

else

$REALPROGRAM -remote "openURL(http://www.google.com, new-window)"

fi

else

touch ~/.mozillarunning

$REALPROGRAM $1

rm -f ~/.mozillarunning

fi

NOTE: My mozilla is in /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla. Change the path above in REALPROGRAM to match your mozilla installation.

2. Now you can call mozilla as many times as you want without changing profiles, either by typing "mozilla" in a console OR by making a desktop button for it.

EDIT: Note that the above only works if you already have a Mozilla window open.

Edited by bigscott