dual boot, two drives

saunterer

Hi!

I'm incredibly new to this world--my Dad recently convinced me to start a dual boot of W2K and Linux. Windows is (unfortunately) already installed on my hard drive, but I don't want to give up the evil thing entirely. So, I bought a reasonably cheap hard drive and I'm planning on installing linux on that, along with the hard drive with Windows on it. I'm wondering how to go about doing this...Will there be partitioning involved? Software I need to install?

Thanks for your patience with the new gal. :help:

Welcome to Mandrakeusers.org!

Everything you need is on the Mandrake cd's. Before installing Mandrake, install your harddrive, and set your plug and play setting in the bios to off. (There are several ways that this is done in bioses. It might say pnp os, yes ,no, or it might say Plug and Play, enable, disable.)

Mandrake will see your new hard drive, and suggest installing there. Just let it automatically set everything up. It will make partitions and install a default system. You may find that after you learn more about it, you will reinstall with custom partitions. But just do the default and start playing! B)

If you encounter any problems, just post here. there's lots of help!

Just to be safe, I think it is better for you to always pick the "advanced" option during installation. It is not that much more difficult than default install and you can actually control the way mandrake install things.

And as far as 2 harddrive with one Windows only and one Linux only, it is very doable. In fact, I have two HD in my desktop, one filled with win2k and the other is filled with Mandrake 9.1.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the way I did it:

My first main drive has Windows XP Pro < master drive >

So I decided to install Mandrake 9.2 in my second drive < slave drive >

I went to BIOS and change it so it can boot from my cd rom.

Put my installation CD1 in the cd rom and then restart my pc.

Then when I reboot it I had the installation cd screen on my pc. Just follow directions given by CD, depending on how much stuff you decide to install you may need all 3 CDs.

I would recommend to read a little more before installing so you know what to do or just install the basics and as you go install what u need later.

The CD1 does it all, it has a fdisk utility which will partition your drive and format it.

Choose The default path for this partition stuff.

My specs:

/boot ................................................100M.......................ext3

/swap.................................................512M......................l

inux swap

/root....................................................37GB....................

...reiserfs

Right before it ends it will install LILO as your bootloader or I think you can choose Grub too from the CD, not sure. Anyways LILO is the easiest one for new linux ppl, like me.

Once installation is done, remove your cd, go to your BIOS again, make it so you can boot from your master drive again. Reboot done.

It will bring you to a screen where LILO bootloader will give you the option wether to start using Linux .. LinuxFB .. Windows........................Then here you have to choose either Linux or Windows.

Yea...I did the same thing, except I never touched BIOS...boot order already set so I can boot from CD, and I have yet to see this plug 'n play OS thing...looked on 4 different BIOSs, and have never seen it