dosbox

scoopy

I got to play a bit last night with dosbox and finally figured out how to mount c:\ and then d:\ to access my cdrom, but I am not getting any where with the game I wanted to try.

I was trying to install a pinball game that needs DOS 5.0 or higher, but it would crash as soon as I pressed enter. Is it this game is just one of those that ain't gonna work at this time, or maybe its something else ???

In the meantime, I will dig through my "junk" and see what other old treasures I can dig up.

thanx,

The problem with using a real dos is to find the dos drivers for ide cdroms, the sound card, the mouse, etc, etc, etc.. Furthermore, I remember the hardship of getting those drivers loaded while still getting more than 600 kb of base memory free. Dosbox gives soundblaster and mouse driver at least, while still giving you 637 kb base memory free..

I guess we are all spoilt by "built for windows" hardware components nowadays.

Anyway, most dos game install program is basically just unzip the file to the correct subdirectories in your hard drive, then run setup file. Maybe you can unzip the file manually or something?

• 4 months later...