Invalid html

aRTee

I have been adding some flash to my website, but unfortunately my code doesn't check out; I use the w3c validator (real easy in opera, right click and do frame - validate source) and it tells me that on those pages the tags I use are not good.

So what is wrong and how can I fix it?

I just want all my pages to conform to the w3c standard.

Example: demo of copy-n-paste with the mousebuttons only (since too many people just don't know this) :

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/lmb-mmb...copy-paste.html

Aha!

Thanks a lot, that quite clarifies things.

I think I'll go for the version that is simple but in IE/win needs the whole flash to download; not too much work and merely inconvenient (as in: not broken, just not optimal) on the one platform I don't care too much about (but they should be able to see it to be able to learn how to get there.. :D )....

When I embedded SWF I used the following:

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" height="450" width="700">

<param name="movie" value="UYBC-intro.swf">

<param name="quality" value="best">

<param name="play" value="true">

<embed height="450" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" src="UYBC-intro.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="700" quality="best" play="true">

</object>

But that doen't validate either.

Thanks Darkelve; I even put a thanks to you on my frontpage... ;)

You really shouldn't have :shy:

Don't thank me, thank Zeldmann instead!

The honor is too much... No, really, I appreciate it :thumbs:

on another note, you're trying out KDE 3.2 beta (alpha?), right? Well, I had a look at some screenshots on the internet, but it seems to me there are SO many components/applications in this release that I wonder how they can all get it finished and still be of high quality. If so, they must have an ARMY of professional programmers...

Seeing all those 'features' makes me afraid the features will be plenty, but the quality might suffer. Or am I wrong?

Edited by Darkelve

That link was really not something I could easily find, and it directly solved my issue. I thank you for helping me find the info. Zeldmann for making it available ;)

I'm not trying out anything at the moment, unless it is in mdk9.2--- being married (or just plain living together) has some drawbacks -- not having enough time to fiddle with linux is one of them..

Why would having so many features mean the quality is bad? Look at linux (the kernel)...

It depends on who does what.

I think what really helps is bugreports,.. which I don't have time for.. :(

as for the disabling, you can do that safely in a browser detection script of sorts (with JS if ya want)

I have also made the effort to be XHTML1.1 and CSS2 valid on my site, at the moment there are still pages which need fixing, but it will in time be 100% valid.

iphitus, what do you mean: disable?

I would like to have my code all check out, but with IE not reading/playing the flash contrary to all other browsers I try things with, I think I have to revert to non-standard/correct code, just for IE... and that sucks bigtime...

Yeah, if I wanted things to be really nice; too much work, since I create all pages from one and the same header (easy in case I change something at the top) and the same footer.

And I have no interest in wasting time now on that, I'm short of it already...

I'll just revert back to the first code I had, and take out the 'valid html' images... maybe curse a bit on IE or so,..

If I ever find the time, I will follow your suggestion; for now, I have other priorities...

But I guess your suggestion is the only other way (next to that link from Darkelve) to make it really work, so thanks.