How do I enable PS2 port in Mandriva 20.10.2 ?

rogerh

Hello,

How can I constrain Mandriva to scan the PS2 port on my computer on boot? My keyboard is on a PS2 connector, and only works now when I boot, then unplug, then replug it in. I assume that the port is not scanned until it detects a 'new' device, and then activates the keyboard.

Hopefully this is super simple - help greatly appreciated.

Regards -- Roger

PS - it is a really nice old mechanical keyboard, which is why I would like to keep it.....

I initally posted this in the hardware section, but thought this might be a more appropriate forum - can't see how to delete my hardware post??

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman - you were right the first time!]

Thanks for the reply. How does one submit the bug, since this problem is consistent?? No typing capability after boot. Then I unplug and replug, and typing capability returns after a few seconds. Hopefully no damage to the system as yet. How long would something like this normally take to get resolved?? I reckon I am doing the mechanical connectors no favors, since I boot up the computer several times a day (turn it off when un-used for couple of hours). The wife does not like poking around in the back of the computer, and having her poke around back there is probably more dangerous than the PS2 hot-plugging anyways....

I've been thinking of just breaking down and getting a new usb keyboard, although I would prefer to avoid the expense and I really like my current keyboard (not mushy like the new ones.....). I would guess that not many are using the PS2 connected devices, and testing for their functionality is a secondary concern.

Suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Regards -- Roger

I have the same problem as you roger - that I have a thing about keyboards, and they must feel right. Trying to find one is not easy. That said, the PS/2 should work fine without any problems. Normally you'd find more problems with a USB one.

Can you try a BIOS upgrade on your computer?

Thanks, but I don't know what a Bios upgrade would consist of?? I just uploaded 2010.2 a couple of days ago, and just completed a second full 'upgrade' from the mirror site. Not sure if there is much more to upgrade. I have not rebooted the system yet to see if there was a fix included in the latest batch - got my fingers crossed....

Thanks -- Roger

but I don't know what a Bios upgrade would consist of?

A bios update would be downloaded from the website of the motherboard manufacturer. It usually is used in conjunction with a DOS boot disk. I have done a fair number of bios flashes in my time, but you should be aware that errors do happen and when they do the motherboard could be broken by this process. Not for the faint of heart! :unsure: