2010.2 new install - problem with Firefox

rogerh

Hello,

I just installed 2010.2 and are working through some issues. Any web pages associated with a secure site only partially load. I disabled the firewall, and it got a bit further along, but still won't load. I looked all through the Firefox menu items (particularly in preferences) for the cookie setting, but can not locate it. Could be that the browser is not accepting cookies, but I can't tell.

The little red danger icon in the lower right of the screen, when activated, says "this site does not supply ownership information" The site was yahoo on a redirect from yahoo mail......

Any help would be appreciated.....

Regards -- Roger

Edited by rogerh

Yes, as it turns out I did get the Chromium browser. Tried that and I run into exactly the same problem. Can't even load Yahoo, or get into secured sites requiring login (yahoo mail works ok - I can log into that). Guess it is something in my security settings? I never got the "this site does not supply ownership information" before, even though they are sites that I commonly use. That was with 2008.1 free using the FireFox browser.

Thanks -- Roger

Hello,

Are there any specific user permissions that need to be set to enable broader internet usage? Do I need to enable / do something with the VPN (not enabled as yet)?? There seems to be some security / authentication issue that is locking up the connection once it reaches a certain point.

Thanks

Edited by rogerh

Sorry for all of the updates.... I did manage to get through to the eBay login via Chromium. It took a good, long wait, and none of the graphics came up. Once into eBay, everything seemed to be fine. Tried again to get into eBay login, thinking that maybe a lack of cached pages was the problem, but still a long wait for an incomplete page. It seems to barely be able to get there. Still no joy with Firefox.

Suggestions appreciated, as I have run out of things to try....

Regards -- Roger

Did you keep your home directory when you clean installed? You could check if the firefox profile is a problem by renaming the .mozilla directory in /home/yourusername and then opening firefox again. Obviously make sure firefox is closed before you do this.

If not, then you can always remove the new .mozilla created and copy the old one back.

I did not retain my home directory. Where would I get an alternate copy of firefox that would load over my existing one?? It does seem that the firefox is missing some plug-ins and page displays are not complete. I guess I have more work to do - thought the current level would be a bit more unified (but maybe the required plug-ins are not officially open source....)

Thanks -- Roger