Convert 64 bit version of Free to One

boatman9

It'd be helpful to have a list of packages needed to change the 64 bit Free version into One. Such a list would include proprietary codecs and drivers that aren't included in the free version. I am not sure if any packages would need to be removed during the process, such as does the free version of Java need to go when adding Sun's Java?

Are you thinking of Powerpack? Powerpack only includes the proprietary stuff. Free/One are the same. Free is the version for installation, and One is the LiveCD which you can install from also. For Free/One, there's no difference.

Also with Powerpack, other than the differences of proprietary stuff, it's the same as Free - just that when you buy Powerpack you have support included in the price.

Are you thinking of Powerpack? Powerpack only includes the proprietary stuff. Free/One are the same. ..... For Free/One, there's no difference.

Incorrect sir, One contains proprietary drivers, Free as the name suggests does not.

boatman9, just setup your online repositories and enable non-free then use MCC to setup your video card and any other hardware you need to, the proprietary drivers will be downloaded and installed, done deal.

boatman9, just setup your online repositories and enable non-free then use MCC to setup your video card and any other hardware you need to, the proprietary drivers will be downloaded and installed, done deal.

Recently I did essentially that but still had some issues due to very little being published about which packages are included with each version. I'll give two instances below.

When doing a 64 bit install using mandriva-linux-free-2010-spring-dual.iso I added a bunch of useful packages including openoffice.org, only to discover later that no spell checker had been installed. I learned of the missing package after the user complained that spell checking did not work. I had to add myspell-en_US, which would have been included if I'd used mandriva-linux-free-2010-spring-x86_64.iso for the install.

Not knowing what else may be missing from Free, for my next 64 bit install I downloaded and burned mandriva-linux-free-2010-spring-x86_64.iso to DVD. This time openoffice.org and myspell-en_US were present, however I noticed that java-1.6.0-sun was missing and in it's place was java-1.6.0-openjdk. Not wanting any surprises related to Java, I added java-1.6.0-sun and dependencies. Now the openjdk and the sun Java may both be installed, I hope that does not cause any problem to have them both.

Even now I still don't know for sure that my 64 bit installs have all the same packages as One or Powerpack. There may yet be more surprises in store for me.

The Free-dual just gives you a very basic system that you can build upon, One doesn't have anything more than Free other than proprietary hardware drivers and is i586 only.

For a complete list of packages in each version check http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Mandriva_Linux_2010.1#Package_Lists

Ken