mageiausers.org

paul

Right . .who's in?

and what is there to do?

From the founders of other Linux support success stories such as MandrivaUsers.org, Mageia Linux support forum: Mageia Users.

About Mageia Linux

As you may have heard, the future of the Mandriva Linux distribution is unclear.

Most employees working on the distribution were laid off when Edge-IT was liquidated. We do not trust the plans of Mandriva SA anymore and we don't think the company (or any company) is a safe host for such a project.

Many things have happened in the past 12 years. Some were very nice: the Mandriva Linux community is quite large, motivated and experienced, the distribution remains one of the most popular and an award-winning product, easy to use and innovative. Some other events did have some really bad consequences that made people not so confident in the viability of their favourite distribution.

People working on it just do not want to be dependent on the economic fluctuations and erratic, unexplained strategic moves of the company.

For more information from the official Mageia Linux team, visit mageia.org

Paul Willard - mageiausers.org founder.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since there's no Mageia release out yet, not even a test release, there's nothing really to be in yet if I'm not mistaken. Development takes place on the mailing lists not on the forum.

Btw what was the final conclusion, will they have their own forum or will they use yours?

I know it's been asked before but I can't remember your answer: is it possible to display the mailing lists as forum topics in the new forum?

Since there's no Mageia release out yet, not even a test release, there's nothing really to be in yet if I'm not mistaken. Development takes place on the mailing lists not on the forum.

Btw what was the final conclusion, will they have their own forum or will they use yours?

I know it's been asked before but I can't remember your answer: is it possible to display the mailing lists as forum topics in the new forum?

1. Correct; no release means nothing to support, but it *might* happen :)

2. Final conclusion was: Conversation evaporated, never continued, and whoever is in control of the dns removed forum.mageia.org (or pointed it elsewhere)

3.Not so far; and keep a legible user database, but I'll keep my eye out.

You can count me in Paul. As Dexter11 says there's nowt much to talk about yet.

Dexter and SilverSurfer .. I'm trying to drum up support, been here before (starting a support forum) it takes more than one person; takes a team cool.gif

I'm in :) does that mean I'm an admin there too? ;)

you poor bastard .. you're a glutton for punishment aren't you? weird.gif

go register, and I can tick the box to make you admin .. don't say I didn't warn you screwy.gif

popcorn.gif

• 3 weeks later...

2. Final conclusion was: Conversation evaporated, never continued, and whoever is in control of the dns removed forum.mageia.org (or pointed it elsewhere)

Sorry Paul, but the first part of this is true but has to be commented:

Yes, conversation evaporated, but only because you did not answer.

1. Anne said she sent a mail about the whole issue and never received a reply. I believe her, she has no reason to contact me and ask if I knew anything about that.

2. I commented in the thread on mandrivausers.org where you wrote some very single minded things like "They don't want us", etc. I tried to explain the reasons but that was never replied to.

Don't get me wrong, I do not say that you are obliged to communicate, but telling people that "conversation evaporated" is only half of the story. And it was only the final conclusion because you seized to communicate.

One more thing, an unwanted advise from one community guy to the other:

Do yourself a favor and remove this ridiculous part in the announcement, claiming mageiausers.org to be "the largest english speaking Mageia Linux support forum in the world.". Yes, at the moment it is but only because the official forum is not set up yet. This is only unnecessary boasting - everybody knows that you don't need such "advertising". There are more such parts in there (like the one about "and other success stories") :) Made me chuckle and others laugh out loud.

To address your points

1. One day I had a domain name pointed to my server and was setting up a forum, the next it was gone. Just like magic, no communication nothing it just evaporated.

2. It was the truth. Not interested in the MUB community. Wanted to start their own ( so I set up a blank forum)

3. What would you know? You were not part of the communication that evaporated. And why do you even care? An odd and rather uninformed accusation.

4. I don't like the tone of your post. We here at MUB have tried really hard to be inclusive and helpful. You've got this exclusive tone in your post; if you're not interested in helping a forum start then thats fine, but don't try and make yourself look important by dragging others down.

The people here who are interested in starting another forum will start another forum, and I will help with what I can; this site is a success story, and some of us here are interested in starting a support forum for mageia, how is that laughable? And why can you not help rather than offend?

I find your post rather insulting to be honest.

I find your post rather insulting to be honest.

Well, that was really not my intention. Give me one reason why I should care about mageiausers.org at all if I was not interested in friendly connections between communities? Are you really thinking I'd waste one minute only to insult you? Why on earth should I do that?

If you are not interested, ok then, that's up to you. At least I tried.

All the best.

wobo

Sorry, forgot to set the followong points right:

3. What would you know? You were not part of the communication that evaporated. And why do you even care? An odd and rather uninformed accusation.

If you can't think of a reason, how about I am concerned in community. Starting to split a community right from the start is something I do not like. Therefor I tried to get in touch. Anne also mailed me and asked if I knew anything why you had stopped communicating. Then I read your point of view that from your side "conversation evaporated". This did not match with what I learned from Anne.

The people here who are interested in starting another forum will start another forum, and I will help with what I can; this site is a success story, and some of us here are interested in starting a support forum for mageia, how is that laughable? And why can you not help rather than offend?

Pls read carefully. I wrote this as an well meant advice from one community leader to the other. Everybody knows you and Mandrivausers.org. You do not need to be boisterous in your announcement and I am sure you did not do that intentionally.

But:

1. "Founders of Mandrivausers.org"? Not true, it was founded by Tom, you took over.

2. "other success stories"? Which ones, my I ask?

3. "largest Mageia support forum"? Of couse, because no other is there yet. :)

Don't you care how this sounds to others who know the facts? I do not want to insult you but rather help by pointing at such things. If constructive criticism equals insult for you, then it is ok with me. I can live with that although I am disappointed.

wobo