Is it possible to re-compile a stock kernel?

I have a APC UPS ES750. When I plug in the USB cable to my Mandirva 10.1 system a device never gets created in /dev for the ups.

See this link for more details on the problem.

I have determined that

I have confirmed CONFIG_DYNAMIC_USB_MIRRORS is turned on in stock kernels, at least the ones I have installed.

I want to know if it possible to recompile a stock kernel, and turn off CONFIG_DYNAMIC_USB_MIRRORS. I have figured out how to edit kernel source, and change this option.

I am not at all sure if the Nvidia drivers, and drivers for Virtual Box will load into a reconfigured kernel.

Your thoughts on how to proceed?

Would I be better off getting the latest kernel source, and compiling it? If I go that route, I have very little experience, so I have no idea how to handle Nvidia or V-box stuff.

I know if I get the latest source, the patching Mandriva does would be gone, and it would have an impact on the built in tools, not sure what else.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Sorry, brain fart...

cat /proc/version

Linux version 2.6.33.7-desktop-1mnb (qateam@titan.mandriva.com) (gcc version 4.4.3 (GCC) ) #1 SMP Fri Aug 27 20:24:50 UTC 2010

I thought I had include a link to my original post,

here -->https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?/topic/106365-apc-ups-es-750-never-seen-by-mandriva-101/

Lots of details.

Edited by camorri

I'm not sure what you mean by stock kernel but if you install the latest source from Mandriva you'll have all Mandriva's customizations.

urpmi kernel-source-latest

Then copy /usr/src/linux-XXXX to your home directory to work on it.

The kernel source has a README file which is a good how-to on configuring and compiling your new kernel.