2 Screen Cards on Mandrake 9

AA

Why would you want both? I only know two people who got suckered into buying a GF4 MX, and they both had dual monitors on them.

If yours doesn't have dual monitors, then you *really* got ripped.

Oi! I also got "suckered" into buying an MX. Did it ever occur to you that not everyone can afford a better display card?

When I bought my MX, a shop was running a special on 'em and it was the best card I could buy with the little money that I had to spend on it! And I'm proud of it!

Don't be a f**king hardware snob, this forum is for helping people, not telling them how crap their hardware is!

Sorry, I'm just having a bad day..... :oops:

Thanks for saying sorry SoulSe, I guess we all have bad days sometimes. lets hope this thread continues peacefully. I don't want to start deleting posts.

Anon. Moderator

I agree GF4MX is rather weak, but the nVidia driver still makes it rock comparing to other display cards on Linux.

Ok, back to the topic, I remember three articles talking about setting up multiple monitors with X-Windows:

1. Using the Xinerama Extensions to MultiHead XFree86 V. 4.0+

2. Multiple Monitors with X Mini Guide

3. Multihead Systems under Linux and Windows

I think you can check into them for further detail. I believe, however, the GF 3D acceleration won't be affected by 2nd display card. But you better set up a system yourself and test them out.

I also have a GF4 MX dual graphics card setup (second card Matrox Millenium PCI). It works fine in WINXP with 3D acceleration, however, I cannot get it to work properly in Linux. I can get it running without 3D with both graphics cards, however, as soon as I install NVidia's drivers I can only get the GF4 to work. If I keep the Matrox Millenium lines in my XF86Config-4 file then it refuses to go into X and if I change the GF4 stuff back to the pre-3d stuff then it also refueses to go into X.

So in my experience, I either have to run without 3D or without my 2nd graphics card in Linux (and not in a way which you can switch easily between them). If anybody has got both of these running simulataeously please post how you did it.

Oi! I also got "suckered" into buying an MX. Did it ever occur to you that not everyone can afford a better display card?

When I bought my MX, a shop was running a special on 'em and it was the best card I could buy with the little money that I had to spend on it! And I'm proud of it! 

Don't be a f**king hardware snob, this forum is for helping people, not telling them how crap their hardware is!

The GeForce4 MX is a waste of your money. You should have just bought a GeForce2 MX for half the price, as they are basically the same chipset... The GeForce3 cards were NV20s, the GF4s are NV25s, and the GeForce4 MX card is a... NV17. NVidia mislabelled that one big-time.

I'm not being a snob, and if you ever looked at my site, I do help people... I just don't post too much on this board anymore (basically at school when I'm bored) because of many different reasons. People ask the same questions over and over again, and at one point it didn't bother me, but now it does. I mean, why have 4 or 5 threads side by side that are the same?

But you're a n00b, so I'll forgive you.

I also have a GF4 MX dual graphics card setup (second card Matrox Millenium PCI). It works fine in WINXP with 3D acceleration, however, I cannot get it to work properly in Linux. I can get it running without 3D with both graphics cards, however, as soon as I install NVidia's drivers I can only get the GF4 to work. If I keep the Matrox Millenium lines in my XF86Config-4 file then it refuses to go into X and if I change the GF4 stuff back to the pre-3d stuff then it also refueses to go into X. 

So in my experience, I either have to run without 3D or without my 2nd graphics card in Linux (and not in a way which you can switch easily between them). If anybody has got both of these running simulataeously please post how you did it.

Hey, you can have multiple layouts in your XF86Config-4 file, and then just choose the one you want when you start X.

Check out my TwinView tutorial for an example of how to do it (don't copy the code, just look at how to utilize multiple server layouts).

If that doesn't help you, sorry. :(

DOlson >>> Over here in this country (South Africa), Hardware, especially Graphics cards cost, a hell of a lot because of the exchange rate.

While the GF4mx might be based on a GF2, you still can not tell me that there is not a vast performance difference between the 2. I went from a GF2 to a KYRO II to the GF4mx and each time I could see a noticable improvement. The price difference between the GF4mx and GF2 is also not that much and therefore is is worth spending the little bit extra and getting the GF4mx.

Would you spend $1000 on a ti4200 when you could spend just $300 on a GF4mx440 and just $250 on a GF2.......?????

That's what the pricing is like over here.

Well, then your pricing system is fscked.

But anyhow, if you're happy with it, that's cool. I just bought a GF4 Ti4200 not long ago, and what happens? The NV30 (GFFX) is out!$!@$%@#%^#$&^