tethering

kilimanjaro

I am not an expert in this subject and I know very little about the droid, but if your droid connects the way other mobile phones do it will appear as a modem to your computer. Use

dmesg | grep tty before and after connecting your phone to tell you which /dev/tty devices were created when the phone was connected to the usb port. On my installation of Mandriva 2010.0 two devices are created; /dev/ttyACM0 and /dev/ttyACM1, both of which seem to work for connecting to the Internet.

cdc_acm 2-3.4:3.1: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
cdc_acm 2-3.4:3.3: ttyACM1: USB ACM device

Once the phone has been connected and the appropriate /dev devices exist you can run wvdialconf which will look for a modem and create a file /etc/wvdial.conf. Look in that file for the baud rate and other details discovered by wvdialconf.

You can use wvdial, gnome-ppp, kppp, or other dialer to manage the connection. I like kppp because it allows me to choose my own DNS servers, haven't figured out how to do that when using wvdial.

The phone number to be dialed for connection will typically be *99# to connect to your phone's default APN. If other APNs have been programmed into your phone then they may be reached by dialing slightly longer numbers, such as *99***2# or *99***3# for second and third APNs respectively.

The above may or may not apply to your droid depending on how similar it is to most other mobile phones.

Edited by boatman9