AMD or Intel ??

static

Well - it seems everybody's on the AMD bandwagon! But isn't the 800MHz FSB out for the P4 - and AMD is only up to 400?

Also, 64bit would be nice in a way, but I thought a LOT of apps don't compile for it yet - or am I wrong?

Let's say money isn't an issue...

OK did some poking around. It'll be AMD, dual if possible (athlon 64 or opteron ?? why is the former so much more expensive?) nVidia fx 5950 or whatever its called (bloody fast) and SCSI RAID of two 36Gig 15K rpm drives.

Questions:

• 64 bit? (see above about compiling apps) If yes, Athlon 64 or opteron?
  • What frontside bus speed is fastest for the above?
  • Anyone know of a motherboard that can do it?

Edited by static

I've heard ... that AMD is better in floating point stuff .. graphics and intel better in integer-stuff ..so far database, ... but this was a time ago and I'm for AMD actually.

I've never ran a server so I'm not a person you should listen too if it comes to expereince in servers :).

Though I like AMD and prefer them, because they are cheaper, give a lot of performance ... as much as intel ..even more in teh last articles I read(but check :)) and they have backwards (good) compatibility with 32-bit apps as you probably now. The new processors even have a builtin temperature-sensor like the intels whihc shuts it of at about 135 Celcius.

Personnally I would look at benchmarks, but I like AMD.

For the apps. If it's opensource-stuff you can recompile them. Gcc has upport for 64-bit and with AMD you have good 32-bit compatibility if you need a comemrcial program that isn't 64 bit yet.

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html

Edited by Michel

I always go AMD, I just like the company better. Besides, the whole 800mhz FSB for intel cpu's is sort of a cheat...they don't really run at 800mhz, it's some sort of trick they do or something. i can't remember, i heard about it a year or two ago.

To answer the question about compiling for 64, that's easy.

THe opteron is 64 only, so it's possible something might not compile, but it should be VERY rare for that to happen.

The AMD64 on the other hand is fully backwards compatible with 32 bit binaries. That means you can install anything compiled for any current cpu.

All that being said, I'd definately go with the AMD64 of the AMD opteron if you can. Not sure if there's any AMD64 mobo's for smp, haven't checked though.

Ok was a litle late, but I just read in a magazine I bought the following:

Athlon FX can calculate faster than Atlhon 64. I'm not sure if Athlon 64 and teh FX-cersion are meant as servers ..but can be uses as it I suppose. Opteron is for teh server-part.

There is no "front-sidebus", it's replaced by hypertransport(I wonder what this is actually..) 200-serie-opteron has 1 and the 800-serie 2 extra hyper-transport-channels for in mutli-processor-systems.

Hypertransport-channels work in full-duplex-mode with max 16-bit-bandwidth and 800 Mhz clockfreq..(in a double-datarate-method : don't know what means) I supose in half-duplex it's 32-bit :)...ok ok.

Anyway you have to inform yourself about which memory to use. You need for opteron and Athlon FX buffered (registered) modules...something about 3200R-modules. Maybe a lead for motherboards ... (for Athlon FX) Asus SK8N, MSI K8T. Maybe by nopw also Gigabyte and Leadtek and maybe others ... but you have to check yourself here or someone else.

At the moment the Cool and Quiet technique doesn't work for FX and 64-processors I believe (for controlling fansor something). Not really for you, but the heat-protection should will be more subtile in teh future I read ... it will slow donw the processor in small steps instead o shutting it down.

For athlon-FX and opteron you need socket 940.

Hopes this helps some

Edited by Michel

{Scratching my head - literally - it's ichy}

OK Thanks, I guess. So you're saying there's (for 64 bit alone) Athlon Fx, Athlon 64, AND Opteron? Now I realize the intent of opteron is servers, but price a bit of a factor (ignore previous post about price, sorry) and from the pricelist

Athlon OPTERON

AMD OPTERON 242 1.6Ghz DUAL 64BIT      $499.00

AMD OPTERON 240 1.4Ghz DUAL 64BIT      $329.00

Athlon 64

AMD ATHLON64 3200+ 2.00G 1M      $629.00

AMD ATHLON64 FX51 2.20G 1M      $1,199.00

AH! OK - so FX is 64, just better... I get it. But I can't afford TWO of those FX suckers! Geez! Check out my hard drive prices! (Remember - I need 2 for RAID)
Maxtor SCSI

Maxtor Atlas 4 15k 36 stk7670 Info $459.00

Maxtor Atlas 4 15k 73 stk7692 Info $939.00

aw well. with a dvd burner I won't need more than 36 gigs anyway.

Now: RAM. DDR 400 right?

DDR DIMM 400MHz

DDR DIMM 400MHz 256M cl2 stk12109  $99.00

DDR DIMM 400MHz 512M cl2 stk12108  $179.00

So how d'y'all think this system's shaping up?

Still need to find a mobo for smp, with onboard SCSI if possible. I'd like ALL drives to be SCSI.

"I'll be back"

--Governer of CA

http://www.penguincomputing.com/store/temp...0-techspecs.php

[DROOL]

Not sure what mobo they're using.

=============================================

HOLY TURD!

4 Opteron CPU's!!! THAT'S what I'll do!! 4 of those cheap 1.4GHz! For the price of one FX! Aw - only supports up to 333 MHz bus speed though, and I don't see an 8x AGP slot :(

http://www.amdboard.com/tyan_s4880_opteron_board.html

=============================================

I need a board that'll take just two processors and use the PC4200 DDR533 RAM. But then - which processor will work at 533 is the question!

GOT IT.

http://www.amdboard.com/tyan_s2885_opteron_board.html

This is the board. Screw 533. This is DDR400, dual opteron cpu, 8x AGP3.0 (as long as you use the AMD-8151 chipset), the works. That with the new nVidia card, linux drivers, 2.6.1, ALL FOR DOOM 3 baby.

I'm off to price SCSI controller cards, SCSI dvd rom drives & burners, etc. Hmm... I think a black Viewsonic monitor and matching black case are in order. 7.1 surround too. Be back Tuesday.

Edited by static