install mandriva on win7

Guest unknown-king

Guest unknown-king

trying to install mandriva on a windows 7. the HHD already has got 4 primary partitions (OS_install / data / OS_recovery / and MBR recovery)

Any ideas how to extend the primary? or any other idea will help :)

Assuming you are talking about a single hard drive, you will need to remove one of the primary partitions, then create an extended partition with one or more logical drives within it.

http://en.kioskea.net/contents/repar/partitio.php3

A disk may contain up to four primary partitions (only one of which can be active), or three primary partitions and one extended partition. In the extended partition, the user can create logical drives (i.e. create the impression that there are several smaller-sized hard drives).

Guest unknown-king

thank you for your fast reply.

Yea it is on 1 HHD. I would delete the one primary partition but since it’s a brand new laptop which isn’t mine I don’t really want to mess about with the partitions, so it’s best to install ubuntu inside windows and there for hopefully nothing will go wrong.

im still using mandriva on my desktop and laptop :)

thanks again

Use CloneZilla and backup the hard disk. Then delete whatever partitions you want, and install Mandriva on it. If you want to revert later, you have CloneZilla backup to revert to :)

• 6 months later...

I just went through this exercise with a new HP laptop my daughter purchased. My purpose was not to install linux though. She has learned that having all your data on C: is not good if ( when ) you have to re-install windbloze. The disk is 650 gig, with a monsterous C:.

My solution was to download and burn a copy of clonezilla. It took a little learning on my part to understand how to clone, and then restore a partition, however it was worth the time. I cloned the D: drive, a primary partition, and saved it on my linux system.

I deleted the D: partition, did a shrink on C: and then created an extended partition. Inside the extended partition I created a partition the same size as D: was originally, ( it wasn't huge ) and then a E: partition. I used clonezilla to restore the D: , worked like a charm. For what its worth, D: was the Recovery partition. So now E: is used for all data. C: was shrunk from 562 gig to 172 gig, and the data partition is now 356 gig. No special reason for the partition sizes. I just wanted to separate user data from windbloze. It would have been a piece of cake to install linux in the space I created for data, however, school boards will not support linux, at least not where my daughter works.