wxCam, do we have it?

boatman9

I noticed an interesting webcam application; wxCam ( http://wxcam.sourceforge.net/ ). It doesn't seem to be in any of my active Mandriva repositories, which are:

PLF Free

PLF Non-free

Main

Main Updates

Contrib

Contrib Updates

Non-free

Non-free Updates

How can I submit a request for a wxCam rpm to be added? if that's even possible now?

I am not sure if cheese has motion detection, one of my most desired features. As soon as my new webcam arrives I'll try a few of these webcam applications. "motion" is a command line program which can record video when it detects motion.

Edited by boatman9

wxcam could, and should be present at the official Mandriva repos, for a simple reason: It's much superior to cheese, under any aspect.

It's compilation from source is rather tricky, though. Under Archlinux it is as simple as running "yaourt -Sy wxcam" in a console window, but under Mandy it does need a bunch of -devel packages (libglade, mjpegtools, perlxml, wxgtk, xvidcore) plus version 1.3.4 of the CImg library.

Under Archlinux it is as simple as running "yaourt -Sy wxcam" in a console window.

I'm, assuming yaourt = pacman :)

As I've never heard of yaourt under Arch, but pacman being the norm for installing packages :D

I'm, assuming yaourt = pacman :)

As I've never heard of yaourt under Arch, but pacman being the norm for installing packages :D

Actually "yaourt" is a pacman wrapper, which has the virtue of automatically parsing build scripts (PKGBUILDS), taking care of the missing dependencies, downloading the sources, compiling and outputting the final package.

Such complex scripts are "dirty" in principle, but you will be amazed by the ease of the installation procedure- most of the times it's just typing the above, and nothing more than that. It's quite similar to Gentoo's emerge, but the structure of the PKGBUILD is much, much simpler (pure BASH).

I searched the Arch package database and found Zoneminder, wxcam, and motion. Maybe I should jump ship to Arch.

You can give it a try in VirtualBox, and if it's OK for you, then go on.

I wouldn't say that Arch is a geek distro, but it's not plain sailing, either: The only "system control center" is the console (OK, you can also install webmin if you like...), all the official management tools are run from the console, initscripts are more similar to BSD than other Linux distros, services have no runlevels, everything is updated before even you got some time to install it... and so on :P

But on the other hand, it's a pure rolling distro (install and configure properly once, and then forget), and it leaves you absolute control over any system aspect.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.