Newbies to Kernel Compilation

Do you know if there is any info availible on recompiling the mandrake kernel, and setting it up so you can use the new and the old.

If it is possible to remove some of the patched and replace them with others but still keep all the default mandrake settings?.

Or are the low latency patches being included in the mandrake 9.0 kernel?, but i would still like to be able to recompile for athlon xp cpu.

The answer is yes you can use your own kernel along side any Mandrake kernels. I would suggest you have a look at the newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake where compiling kernels Q & A is a constant activity with many experienced and not-so-experienced folks involved. The issue of compiling to Athlon processors has been a recent topic there also.

It is a high traffic group with 200-300 messages a day so you may not see what you are looking for right off. They can be a rough bunch to deal with, so wear your flameproof suit. They have also been called the friendliest Linux newsgroup so you can imagine what Slackware is like.

Bluebeard.

Last night i install a mandrake 2.4.19 kernel rpm on my 8.2 box

and it worked alright except i broke the nvidia driver and didn't recognise my dvd drive?

I know that i would have to recompile the nvidia driver to work with the new kernel but would i still be able to keep the old nvidia driver so i could boot to the 8.2 standard kernel and use 3d as well? just wondering.