KDE screensaver config file

Guest jethrobodine

Guest jethrobodine

Hi

Configuration - KDE - Look and Feel - Screensaver lists no files to choose from in the screensaver list.

I believe the files reside in /usr/share/mdk/screensavers/ but there isn't a way to specify the path.

I looked in /home/.kde/share/config for a screensaver config file but nothing looked obvious. Did I overlook it?

I'm running Mandrake 9.2.

I also installed xscreensaver but couldn't easily overcome its' insistence to require me to login both on boot and shut-down. I'm the only user and don't want to login. The shutdown login was ridiculous, I had to supply my username and pw, then it restarted my desktop instead of shutting down. I have uninstalled xscreensaver and no longer have the login problem.

Thanks

jethrobodine

:help:

Anna posted the answer in this thread:

The screensavers are part of the kdeartwork package (on your install cd's), they are not installed per default:

# urpmi kdeartwork

But even after the installation they won't work: screensaver bug in MDK 9.2.

You have two options:

- run mandrakeupdate, i.e.: install the official updates from a ftp update mirror (the kde packages are important if I am not mistaken)

- there is a solution to manually fix it, but I only recommend to do this if you do NOT plan to update your system

This keeps coming up repeatedly.

Open up Konqueror and click on VIEW then click on SHOW HIDDEN FOLDERS.

Go to /usr/share/applnk-mdk/.hidden/screensavers.

in there you will see a .directory, open it with Kwrite and you will most likely see a text something along the lines of

[Desktop Entry]

Name=ScreenSavers

Icon=applications_sections.png

Type=Directory

Name [eng_Gb] = ScreenSavers

This entry is wrong and needs to be edited to read PRECISELY as follows:-

[Desktop Entry]

Icon=go.png

Type=Directory

X-KDE-BaseGroup=screensavers

Name [en]=ScreenSavers

Upper and lower case must be correct as shown.

Save the changes and reboot. All your screensavers should now reappear in KDE.

Keep in mind that this must also be done in your account.

Cheers and hope this helps everyone.

PS this only applies to Screensavers that have got lost and not to screensavers that have not already been installed.

A previous reader of my original post very kindly posted it to Mandrakes help site.

The tragedy is that my solution is only a repair of the problem. The cause of the problem has existed in Mandrake9.1 and it is now also in 9.2 and seems to be caused whenever you do rpm updates or upgrades. It rewrites the .directory into an unusable form for no good reason at all.

Guest jethrobodine

Working now. I ran Anna's fix as well as AussieJohn's. AussieJohn, my .directory file was OK.

Thanks everyone. I've been running Mandrake Linux for a little over a year and I am also learning C programming. Hopefully, it will not be too long and I will be the helper instead of the helpee.

jethrobodine :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried these fixes but to no avail. Maybe it's a sign that I should get off the fence and become a full-time GNOME user. Any other suggestions? I've got kdeartwork installed, I've tried AussieJohn's fix, and previously I even used MandrakeUpdate and updated my system -- again, all to no avail. Any help is deeply appreciated!