File recovery software [solved]

M_R

Hi,

I have a question: is there any software for recovering files that got deleted? You know, like file scavenger or those programs for Windows.

I need free software, not the propietary programs that appear everywhere if you do a google search.

My filesystem is ext3, and I use Mandriva 2010.

Thanks

You may try your luck with Testdisk and Photorec, both of which are on SystemRescueCd, among other places.

If you have spare room, it may be better to first image the partition, and either work on the image only, or work on the real thing and keep the image as a backup.

I am aware this answer contains technical vocabulary… You see, I don't know your background.

I don't have first-hand experience with these tools, but I still may be able to answer questions if you have some.

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti

Thank you for your answer. I understand the vocabulary, but it has risen more questions. I don't know if I can ask more questions inside a thread, but I'll ask anyway: I also need to image my harddrive, which has two partitions: one with windows and another with Linux, what tools do you recommend for this?

Regarding the programs, I'll try them once I have an image of my Linux partition to avoid trouble.

Thanks.

You can use clonezilla for making an image of your hard disk. Another method, but does a sector backup, which means if a 160GB disk, then a 160GB image is using the dd command. But clonezilla will be better.

• 4 weeks later...

You can use clonezilla for making an image of your hard disk. Another method, but does a sector backup, which means if a 160GB disk, then a 160GB image is using the dd command. But clonezilla will be better.

Thank you (and al the other guys) for the solution, this is what I needed.