Configuring X11 vnc

Guest craigey1

Guest craigey1

Hi,

I'm running Mandriva 2010 Spring & I 've got X11vnc installed & it works for me in that I can connect remotely to my desktop (mandriva) via my laptop (windows). I've even got it configured so it works over an SSH Tunnel, which is great. I've even found the cures to a couple of bugs that I had (keyboard shift key wouldn't work over x11vnc fixed using the -xkb switch & the screensaver would disable & instantly started again, which was fixed using the -nodpms switch).

Anyway the problem that I'm now having is that the display disconnects after a period of time (not sure how long, but when vnc disconnects & I then reconnect to the display it's at the user login screen).

If I then try & login vnc is disconnected & the login doesn't appear to work on Mandriva as when I reconnect, the display is back at the user login screen.

I did some reading up on Karl Runge's site and have used the script to find my authority file. The -authority switch looks like it is looking at the correct file when using the "x11vnc_sh" on Karl's site.

I've also set the KillInitClients=false in the [daemon] section of /etc/X11/gdm/custom.conf but have now run out of ideas of things to try.

I was also hoping to install this as a service, but due to the differences of Mandriva & other linux flavours that Karl references I wasn't able to get this working using his guide.

Thanks in advance,

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Guest krunge

I can't remember if you contacted me via email about this problem or not. Did you?

I spoke to someone using mandriva describing a similar problem and suggested to him to try the '-noxfixes' x11vnc option. I believe that stopped the X server crashes he was seeing.

So try -noxfixes. You can find more info about this Xorg bug by searching for x11vnc+noxfixes at, say, ubuntuforums.org.

Guest craigey1

Thanks. I will post back & let you know the results.

I didn't e-mail you about this as I thought you'd probably get tons of e-mail from people asking silly questions that you probably had already answered on your site. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Guest craigey1

Thanks for your help that fixed it.

I'm using the following in the sharex11vnc script:

x11vnc -bg -xkb -nodpms -auth guess -rfbauth /home/craig/.vnc/passwd -forever -noxfixes -o /var/log/x11vnc.log -afteraccept /home/craig/myxlocker -gone /home/craig/myxlocker