Red Hat or Fedora

SilverSurfer60

As most of you know I've been with Mandrake/Mandriva for a couple of years now. I was always under the impression that the distribution was based around Red Hat. That assumption has been now brought into question. I have been toying with building Mysql-Workbench from the source files from the mysql website. During the process I came across some dependencies and discovered they were more pertinent to Fedora. The question is Are we Fedora rpm based, Redhat rpm based or a mixture of the two? I am confused. Easily done for me I know.

[moved from Talk-Talk by spinynorman]

Mandrake was originally a fork of Red Hat. Although no longer a fork, Mandriva's base system (including the file system) is still organised in the Red Hat "style". Fedora is Red Hat's "community" release upon which Red Hat enterprise editions are based. (In effect, Fedora "is" Red Hat.)

Jim

Edited by jkerr82508

You wouldn't really be able to use Fedora or even Red Hat rpm's on Mandrake/Mandriva systems, because you'll end up with a dependency hell. Therefore your only real option would be compiling mysql-workbench unless of course you can find some Mandriva rpm's.

Check:

http://rpm.pbone.net

here you can search and possibly find something. I found rpms for Mandriva 2009 and Mandriva 2010 - which means you should be able to install this with urpmi.

Fedora is the test bed for Red Hat. Fedora can be considered as leading-edge and typically unstable because it has the latest and greatest. Red Hat will not have the latest packages, but will have stability in mind. CentOS is a spin-off of Red Hat - effectively the same, just rebranded. With CentOS, it is completely compatible with the upstream vendor (Red Hat), so any rpms for use on Red Hat, can be used on CentOS. Unless of course the other repos such as CentOS Plus or Centos Contrib are enabled, then it's lost the compability because various packages have been upgraded to a higher version than that available in Red Hat.

So in other words it's a complete mess. Thank you Ian.

I did find a workable rpm right here on our own sight supplied by one of our own members. I think you should see the reply I gave the man. This is not doing the name of Linux any good, in fact it's going backwards don't you think. I still love it mind you and will stick with it.

Not necessarily a complete mess, just that you sometimes find packages available for more popular distributions than others. It seems that for certain packages, Mandriva lacks some development. But Mandriva does have a lot of packages available that some other distros don't have.