Creating/editing a kbd layout

5er

I have extracted slovene.map.gz (located in /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwertz/) and got slovene.map out of it. I have edited slovene.map to my liking with KWrite and renamed it to just slo.map. I have compressed it with gzip. I have put this new slo.map.gz into /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwertz/. The new layout was not available in the layout list of /usr/sbin/kbdconfig. I could not find a file that would tell kbdconfig which layouts are available, so I just edited slovene.map(.gz). When I used kbdconfig to change layout to Spanish I did not get any error messages (I was running kbdconfig through Konsole) and the active layout was indeed Spanish. I have changed the layout back to Slovene, hoping to see the changes I have made, and there were no error messages this time either and the active layout now was Slovene, but without my edits.

What am I doing wrong?

*To prevent TL;DR you may stop reading here*

I have checked the gunzipped slovene.map in /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwertz/ and it is as I have intended it. I have also edited slovene.uni.map(.gz) in the same manner. I have tried restarting the X server. kbdconfig says it's loading the correct file.

I think the syntax inside slovene.map is correct (I have only done simple editing. The characters are supposed to be written correctly as I have copied them from somewhere else in the file.

The file is called slovene.map (as it was before) and the archive is called slovene.map.gz (as it was before).

Edited by 5er

If no one has any experience with kbd, maybe you could help me with xkb. I can change the mappings there and they work. Unfortunately, I cannot change the mapping for <> key and all my custom binding stick even after swapping the changed file with its backup, reloading xkb layout, restarting x, rebooting... even if I rename the file (I haven't tried deleting, since root has no trash can, but it should be the same)!

I have modified /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/si.xmb. What should I modify?