ZFS Port to Linux ( all versions)

Guest darshin

Guest darshin

As we all know, ZFS is by far the best file system.

People have workarounds and solutions which are kind of 2nd tone replacements to work on Linux, but either ways, all these solutions are not really good replacements as they either are not stable enough or lack some of the salient features of ZFS.

KQ has ported ZFS to Linux and was a much awaited release since January 2010.

We are releasing the closed beta in last week of August/first week of September and are looking for closed beta customers who can test it for free on some environments.

Mail me at darshin@kqinfotech.com to register.

Feel free to put forward any questions as well.

Kind Regards,

Darshin

So how did you solve the license issues between GPL2 and the license ZFS come with?

As far as I knew, porting ZFS to Linux is not a technical issue but a license issue, therefore your port would likely not be legal to distribute and use.

Apart from that I don't like the idea of closed beta software on FOSS, it's against the FOSS principles.

So how did you solve the license issues between GPL2 and the license ZFS come with?

I'm guessing he's using this

The ZFS code can be modified to build as a CDDL licensed kernel module which is not distributed as part of the Linux kernel.
The quote is from here:

http://github.com/behlendorf/zfs/wiki/FAQ

@darshin- I've merged your two topics on this... please don't double post.

I'm guessing he's using this

The ZFS code can be modified to build as a CDDL licensed kernel module which is not distributed as part of the Linux kernel.

The quote is from here:

http://github.com/behlendorf/zfs/wiki/FAQ

Ok, but in that case it will never be part of the kernel, which means users would have to rely on KQinfotech (or others) to keep the zfs kernel module up-to-date and compatible with every new kernel.

This has been considered already but AFAIK always dismissed as it's unpractical and can't be relied upon for any serious long-term use.

I would only start using such a module if it has the endorsement and support of the core kernel developers (Torvalds, etc.).

And as I said already, the fact that it's a closed beta puts it in an extremely bad light, FOSS and closed betas mix like oil and water.

Oh and by the way, the post from darshin should be almost considered spam since he posted it on loads of Linux forums all over the net:

https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=People+have+workarounds+and+solutions+which+are+kind+of+2nd+tone+replacements+to+work+on+Linux,+but+either+ways,+all+these+solutions+are+not+really+good+replacements+as+they+either+are+not+stable+enough+or+lack+some+of+the+salient+features+of+ZFS.&btnG=Google+Search

--

Edited by tux99

Oh and by the way, the post from darshin should be almost considered spam since he posted it on loads of Linux forums all over the net:

https://encrypted.go...G=Google+Search

--

Exactly that!!!

I don't consider it spam. If someone writes something and wants to bring it to light on all the Linux forums then so be it. If it wasn't related to Linux, then I would agree that it's spam.

Checking the forum spam site for both IP and username doesn't show as a spammer. Until that time comes, the post will remain visible. We could all be accused for spam as we post linking to our own websites for our own written articles on how to do something, etc, etc, etc. That's no different to this.

That said with Linux I'm not interested in closed-source products, and so will never use this. There are much better filesystems for use than an unknown quantity. Btrfs has gone stable now apparently, and is blisteringly fast from what I've read in the past. Otherwise depending on my system, I'll stick with ext3, ext4 or jfs.

I don't consider it spam. If someone writes something and wants to bring it to light on all the Linux forums then so be it. If it wasn't related to Linux, then I would agree that it's spam.

I partially agree with you, that's why I said "almost spam", I didn't mean that it should be removed.

Checking the forum spam site for both IP and username doesn't show as a spammer. Until that time comes, the post will remain visible. We could all be accused for spam as we post linking to our own websites for our own written articles on how to do something, etc, etc, etc. That's no different to this.

There is a huge difference, this appears to be a 'hit and run', there is no dialogue, while when a regular of a forum (or even a newbie that wants to be a regular) post links to something Linux related on their personal web site they also do it to have a conversation about it, not purely to advertise their article.

That said with Linux I'm not interested in closed-source products, and so will never use this. There are much better filesystems for use than an unknown quantity. Btrfs has gone stable now apparently, and is blisteringly fast from what I've read in the past. Otherwise depending on my system, I'll stick with ext3, ext4 or jfs.

We definitely agree on this. :)

Edited by tux99