Reinstall urpmi in console

Guest ladykrimson

Guest ladykrimson

How does one uninstall and install urpmi?

Edited: from a console screen. I do not have a workstation, therefore I have no MCC.

Re-edited: Actually, I am trying to urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist. I received an error that stated "retrieval of [ftp://mirror...] failed (md5sum mismatch) problem reading synthesis file of medium "Main""

I have tried many other mirror sites, but I receive the same error. I have also attempted urpmi.removemedia but it says that there is no media.

Again, I have no workstation. I am working strictly on a console.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Removing all media is done with:

urpmi.removemedia -a

then you can try adding the sources again as you were attempting before. If still failing, when adding the sources, add the extra parameter for wget:

urpmi --wget

that might help get you sorted out.

Guest ladykrimson

When I did the urpmi.removemedia -a, it said: "nothing to remove"

Thank you for the wget, though.

It still will not let me add any media, no matter what the source. And when I remove media, it says there is nothing there.

Using the easyurpmi link, you can switch to manual mirror selection. Maybe try this, and select a mirror closer to you and see if it makes a difference. Something should work eventually.

You can use the badblocks command to check the disk for problems, it will probably take a while, but can give you an idea of what shape your disk is in. Sometimes you can reformat the disk with a new filesystem and partition layout and the problem might go away, but not forever.

I'd make a copy of any data on there, and get a replacement as soon as you can or just use the disk for the time being but for nothing important in the event it does go down that you don't lose anything important. Chances are though it won't be long if the problems start to get worse.

• 2 weeks later...