HP Photosmart B109a Multi unit [solved]

AussieJohn

I found this in the errata for 2010.

Did you follow its recommendation ?. Namely to manually install the libsane-hpaio1. If the package is shown in MCC then try deleting it and re-install it manually to see if that works for you.

"HP Scanners or All-in-One type HP printers scan function won't work

This is a known problem. Problem comes from task-printing-hp package. This package responsible for installing required packages for HP printers and scanners as a dependency. task-printing-hp package should install libsane-hpaio1 package; but it won't. Users should install libsane-hpaio1 package manually to get scanner work. Bug #46940 "

Cheers. John

Edited by AussieJohn

I had it installed, but urpme'd it and again urpmi'd it. (I'm inventing new English words here... B) ) No help.

I ran xsane from terminal:

$ xsane
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/001/001: Permission denied.
libusb requires write access to USB device nodes.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/001/002: Permission denied.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/001/003: Permission denied.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/002/001: Permission denied.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/003/001: Permission denied.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/004/001: Permission denied.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/004/002: Permission denied.
Aborted

Are you running xsane as a regular user? Try running as user root and see if it works? Open a terminal, su to root, and then run xsane from the prompt and see if you can do it.

If so, then we need to do something else. Run dmesg after you plugged the device in and let's see what dev it got, and we can check user/group permissions for that particular device.

Well, I've tried running it as root when the printer's not been connected by USB, but then xsane brings my webcam image (I was a bit surprised to see that). So it does not find the wireless printer. I will try this (running xsane as root) when I've got the printer connected by USB. I'll post back.

I tried installing the HPLIP 3.10.9 from the sourceforge page, but it all ends with this installer error:

error: Configure failed with error: libusb not found

You need to install the libusb-compat0.1-devel package for the compile/build to go ahead. It's available in the repos. The script will also warn you that you are missing 'optional' dependencies. I'll list them here, if they are of no importance then there's no need to install them prior to installing HPLIP 3.10.9
warning: There are 4 missing OPTIONAL dependencies.

note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.

warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'network' : libnetsnmp-devel (libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files)

warning: This installer cannot install 'libnetsnmp-devel' for your distro/OS and/or version.

warning: Options 'network' has been turned off.

warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'scan' : sane-devel (SANE - Scanning library development files)

warning: This installer cannot install 'sane-devel' for your distro/OS and/or version.

warning: Options 'scan' has been turned off.

warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'scan' : xsane (xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE)

warning: This installer cannot install 'xsane' for your distro/OS and/or version.

warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'base' : cups-ddk (CUPS DDK - CUPS driver development kit)

warning: This installer cannot install 'cups-ddk' for your distro/OS and/or version.

I hope this helps. :)

You need to install the libusb-compat0.1-devel package for the compile/build to go ahead. It's available in the repos. The script will also warn you that you are missing 'optional' dependencies. I'll list them here, if they are of no importance then there's no need to install them prior to installing HPLIP 3.10.9

I hope this helps. :)

I believe I have installed every package that has 'libusb' in the package name. But I will doublecheck tonight.

I also believe that I installed the listed packages that the installer was warning about.

OK. First I checked that I had libusb-compat0.1-devel package installed. So that's no help.

Then I tried using the scanner with the USB connected, but no. I got notification that the software for the printer is not installed: "No printer driver for HP Photosmart B110 series". Yes, I have B109a installed, but with that I can use the printer though - and that is good.

I tried using xsane as root, but again got only the webcam image. So no help there. :unsure:

When running dmesg I got a very long list of something I could not understand. This list goes further than Konsole will show (scrolling up all the way):

end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current] 
ILI
sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Illegal mode for this track
sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 02 00
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 128
ILI
sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Illegal mode for this track
sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 02 00
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 128
ILI

Then scrolling down I see some shorewall lines and finally this HP Photosmart on usb 2-5:

usb 2-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
usb 2-5: New USB device found, idVendor=03f0, idProduct=8a11
usb 2-5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 2-5: Product: Photosmart B110 series
usb 2-5: Manufacturer: HP
usb 2-5: SerialNumber: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
scsi10 : usb-storage 2-5:1.3
usb 2-5: usbfs: interface 3 claimed by usb-storage while 'usb' sets config #1
scsi 10:0:0:0: Direct-Access 	HP   	Photosmart B110  1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
sd 10:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk
ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
ppdev0: no associated port!

I think I need the hplip 3.10.6 or 3.10.9

I think I need the hplip 3.10.6 or 3.10.9
Now I'm confused :huh: I thought the problem was that you couldn't install hplip 3.10.9 from the package downloaded from the sourceforge site. Once libusb-compat0.1-devel is present the build moves past the libusb error stage. From what I saw during the install of hplip 3.10.9 an attempt is made to communicate with the printer.

Now I'm confused :huh:

You and me both. :huh:

I thought the problem was that you couldn't install hplip 3.10.9 from the package downloaded from the sourceforge site. Once libusb-compat0.1-devel is present the build moves past the libusb error stage. From what I saw during the install of hplip 3.10.9 an attempt is made to communicate with the printer.

I tried installing hplip 3.10.9 from the package downloaded from SF site. But I always hit the wall with the libusb. Is this a rigths issue? Or a missing symbolic link or something like that?

But that's not the problem anymore! A friend in a Finnish board pointed me to here:

http://www.mdvrb-fac...de/HByName.html

There I found packages to 3.10.6 version of hplip. I got it to work and I got the right drivers for my printer! So that's good. :thumbs:

BUT, I couldn't get the scanner to work with xsane (or any other software for that matter)... I tried running hp-setup, but it will just not find my HP. I have tried it both wirelessly and with the USB. No luck. What to do...?

OK, I got the scanner to work when connected with USB. I needed a few more files for the hplip 3.10.6 version. I installed all these and it started to work:

• hplip-hpijs-3.10.6-3bubmdv2010.1.i586.rpm
  • hplip-3.10.6-3bubmdv2010.1.i586.rpm
  • hplip-gui-3.10.6-3bubmdv2010.1.i586.rpm
  • libsane-hpaio1-3.10.6-3bubmdv2010.1.i586.rpm
  • hplip-model-data-3.10.6-3bubmdv2010.1.i586.rpm
  • hplip-hpijs-ppds-3.10.6-3bubmdv2010.1.i586.rpm

These I found from here:

http://www.mdvrb-factory.de/

Now I need to get it working wirelessly. As soon as I disconnected the USB it stopped working. How can I make it work over wlan?

Hello Dude.

My Printer is not a Wireless model. I deliberately avoided buying a wireless model. For all the advances I have observed that have been made with wireless, I considered I could do without all the niggley dramas I see people continue to encounter.

I can understand people needing it for portable things like laptops and so on, but I have none, so wire connections meet all my needs effortlessly.

I have rarely ever had a problem with xsane.The last time I think was about 5 to 6 years ago. It was so far back that I now can't think what it was. :D

As it turned out I had a problem setting up this Scanner/Printer on USB and it turned out that it was not a driver problem, instead it was a text error in one of the files. It seems that it may have been caused by someone in Mandriva. :unsure:

Trivia:- Wi-Fi was invented and patented by an Ausralian team of Scientists of the CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization), an Australian Government organization. :thumbs:

Cheers. John.

OK, thanks John. I really wanted the one with wireless printing and in the past HP has had a good track record of supporting Linux systems. But perhaps the problem lies within Mandriva - I have read that this particular printer/scanner works perfectly in Ubuntu...

Is there anyone, who has managed to make an HP Photosmart to scan through WiFi in Mandriva?

I got this to work! :thumbs:

Again I'm really not sure what it was that finally got this scanner to work, but one thing I did was install net-snmp package. Perhaps it was that, but anyway it's working now!

Thanks to all who contributed!