HP Photosmart B109a Multi unit [solved]

AussieJohn

I have clean installed Mandriva2010-Spring three times at least so far and have been totally unsuccessful in installing this Printer/Scanner device either in printing or scanner mode.

It works perfectly in my Mandriva2010.0-Official that I use for my working OS and has done so for the Past 6 months. Until I can fix this problem I am not changing over.

No matter what I try, the device seems to be invisible to 2010-Spring...i.e., it is not detected at all. I have tried all the many suggestions at Mandriva but none of them makes any difference.

I have even carefully noted all the packages that are in 2010-Spring are similar to those in 2010-official.

It seems to be a detection problem but I do not know where to look in that regard.

A week ago I just completed a clean reinstall of my Working OS, Mandriva2010-Official, and for a day or so I thought I had the same problem but strangely it seemed to correct itself and I was able to install both the printer and scan functions. I thought it might have been a cable problem but that seems not to be the case since I have moved the cable many times and the printer/scanner still works perfectly but not when I go into 2010-Spring.

The suggested solution of using my browser to connect to Cups via <http://localhost:631> to install doesn't work either. It brings up an error message

Any ideas please, are welcome. (Note: I have posted this problem in the Mandriva Forum earlier)

Cheers. John.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by AussieJohn

Hello Speedball.

Yes, every package that should be installed is installed exactly the same as exists in the 2010-official install that works, including the ones you mentioned.

I do think the problem is with whatever package or packages that are supposed to detect the Printer/Scanner device in the first place.

Cheers. John.

Hello Speedball.

Yes, every package that should be installed is installed exactly the same as exists in the 2010-official install that works, including the ones you mentioned.

I do think the problem is with whatever package or packages that are supposed to detect the Printer/Scanner device in the first place.

Cheers. John.

What was the error messages you received in cups when you attempted to set it up?

If the hplip packages are installed, then you should be all set to go, because I can only see the hplip packages advancing and covering more devices, than removing support.

Hello Ian. There is no error message when setting up. There is just no printer of any kind shown. The printer page has no printer icon or any icon, the page is basically blank apart from the toolbars etc.

Regarding the scanner, when the xsane icon is pressed, the normal pop-up "scanning for devices" occurs and then fades out. Nothing more happens. No messages, nothing.

I have even bought a new USB cable today just in case it might have been due to something weird happening caused by the original cable. Now I have a spare USB cable :)

This has been a wasted 3 day exercise (day and Night). It seems like I am running in circles. :wall:

In the past, with earlier versions of Mandriva, when the printer was first switched on after a new clean install, a popup window would say it had detected a printer, a device, and ask to start installing the drivers etc.

This does not happen with 2010-spring. Nothing happens. That is why I do not believe it to be a driver problem but rather a hardware or usb detection problem. The drivers cannot be the problem surely if the device is not even detected in the first place. At least that is my understanding of how the system works. Isn't hardware detection done during the boot-up process ??. If no device then drivers are irrelevant and can do nothing.

This problem does not occur in 2010-official. The two, 2010.0 and 2010.1, are on different hard drives and both are WD sata II. 2010.0 is on a 160Gb drive and 2010.1 (spring) is on a 320Gb drive and newer than the other. Everything else is common to both OSs.

What are some of the packages that are involved in hardware detection, please, so I can work on the problem from that angle.

Cheers. John

Thanks to keithp over in Mandriva forum, as we would say in Australia.. "your blood is worth bottling".

Thanks heaps and heaps and heaps. He came up with the recommendation of (as root) going into /usr/share/hplip/data/models/models.dat. In <models.dat> look for the line [photosmart_b109a_series] and changing it to read [photosmart_b109a-m] and saving the change.

Making that change makes the <models.bin> entry exactly the same as the one in2010-official which has always worked normally. I wonder why it was changed along the line ??. Me thinks a little stuff up by someone, but I could be wrong.

The scanner worked immediately after the change. The printer required logging out then back in and running the procedure in MCC.....Hardware....Printer Setup and away we went. Now I have Full Printer/Scanner functions once again.

Cheers and thanks to him again. John.

• 5 months later...

Hi John et al,

I have a similar problem, but I have an HP Photosmart B110 (with wireless). This is not supported until HPLIP 3.10.6, but Mandriva has packaged only HPLIP 3.10.2... I know that cooker has 3.10.6 packed, but I kinda messed one of my installations when enabling cooker sources and tried to get it working. There were too many other dependencies that needed to be updated for the cooker version of HPLIP that I broke something. It installed some packages and but could not install all and I couldn't install the HPLIP 3.10.6 from cooker. Now I actually have a broken Mandriva 2010.2 installation... (more on that perhaps on a different thread).

I tried installing the HPLIP 3.10.9 from the sourceforge page, but it all ends with this installer error:

error: Configure failed with error: libusb not found

I know that I have libusb installed and I even made sure I have all the libusb packages installed.

Any idea as how to go forward?

Hello Dude.

Does your model have a USB connection option as well ???. If it does, I would suggest using it instead until the latest HPLIP 3.10.6 comes out of cooker. Remember things are in cooker because they are still being worked on and only come out when they are believed to be relatively stable.

When you connect as USB you will likely get a popup saying that the printer has been detected and then proceed from there.

Cheers. John.

Thanks John,

I did install this with the USB, and I got the printing working (even with wireless). Doing the installation with USB hplip recommended to use B109 driver which I did. But I couldn't get the scanning to work (with xsane).I would hate to boot to windoze just to scan something...

Does anyone have any suggestions for the problem with libusb?