Compiling 2.6 kernel

I've downloaded the kernel-source-2.6.0-1mdk.i586.rpm, in order to compile it on my 9.2 up-to-date machine.

Well, make xconfig + bzImage + modules are okay, but I can't figure why "make modules_install" (i.e. depmod) keeps complaining about tons of unresolved symbols in major modules like ide-cd, ext3, ppp, isofs, sound etc. I'm not talking about third-party obscure modules there! Some errors can be resolved by compiling the option in the kernel, but that's not a solution. I want to understand WHY I get these errors.

Actually I get same kind of errors when using the original 2.6 kernel source tarball from Linux Kernel archives, but not in the same modules. Did not happen to me since....8.1 kernel recompile.

How can the kernel and modules always compile fine and depmod keeps on finding unresolved symbols ? Btw, when compiling the plain original MDK9.2 kernel with the original Mandrake .config file, (from /boot), I often get the same symptom. Looks like the default kernel/ default config can't be recompiled without errors.

Any idea ? :blink:

what I did was get a mdk 2.6 kernel running>uncompress /proc/config.gz (current running kernel config)>copy it somewhere and use it after make mrproper for your .config. Compile as is and if it works, then worry about trimming it down. This way you'll know the errors are yours. I never trust a /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/defconfig file. Screwed me once.

Edited by bvc

what I did was get a mdk 2.6 kernel running>uncompress /proc/config.gz (current running kernel config)>copy it somewhere and use it after make mrproper for your .config. Compile as is and if it works, then worry about trimming it down. This way you'll know the errors are yours. I never trust a /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/defconfig file. Screwed me once.

I agree with bvc, although I haven't tried 2.6 yet. I'm planning to this week. I'll probably start with an rpm upgrade install if it is available, not because I'm lazy, but because I have no time! Then, if I likes it that much, we'll compiles it properly precioussss.

This problem is extremely common when you fail to 'make mrproper'

And in 2.6 kernel, you dont need to

make *config

make dep + bzImage + modules

make modules_install

The process has been shortened.

make *config

make

make modules_install

iphitus

This problem is extremely common when you fail to 'make mrproper'

And in 2.6 kernel, you dont need to

make *config

make dep + bzImage + modules

make modules_install

The process has been shortened.

make *config

make

make modules_install

iphitus

I've heard that but haven't tried it. I just skip make dep and still do

make mrproper

make menuconfig

make clean && <Enter>

make bzImage && <Enter>

make -j5 modules && <Enter> (the -j5 will make 5 modules at a time so make sure you have enough resources/speed for this)

make modules_install && <Enter>

cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0- whatever_you_have in the toplevel Makefile for EXTRAVERSION= && <Enter>

cp .config /boot/config-2.6.0-extraversion_name && <Enter>

cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.0-extraversion_name && <Enter>

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.0-extraversion_name.img 2.6.0-extraverson_name

walk away, comeback in 45 minutes or more depending on sys speed, edit the bootloader (grub in my case) and reboot. Works for me.

dino_bosnia, just find a mirror or cooker mirror that has it and add it to your sources with mcc>Software Management>Sources Manager or use urpmi. The rest is either in this and other kernel-2.6 threads, in the Weblinks at the top of the page, in the FAQ, google, or trial and error. We're still here if you have probs though. :D

To better explain the EXTRAVERSION= here's mine

vi /usr/src/linux/Makefile

VERSION = 2
PATCHLEVEL = 6
SUBLEVEL = 0
EXTRAVERSION = -1

so I'd want to end up with

gentoo linux # ls /lib/modules
2.4.20-gentoo-r6  2.6.0  2.6.0-1
gentoo linux # ls /boot
System.map                   config-2.6.0             kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r6
System.map-2.4.20-gentoo-r6  config-2.6.0-1           vmlinuz-2.6.0
System.map-2.6.0             initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r6  vmlinuz-2.6.0-1
System.map-2.6.0-1           initrd-2.6.0-1.img
boot                         initrd-2.6.0.img
gentoo linux #

You do not have to edit the EXTRAVERSION= but if, for example I already had a kernel-2.6.0-1 and compiled again with the above EXTRAVERSION= the old 2.6.0-1 would be overwritten.

Edited by bvc