Mandriva doesn't go on after login screen [solved]

Fred01

Mandriva 2010.1 running.

Running Mandriva 2010.1 // Gnome desktop

Everything worked fine until decided to set logging to automatic, through 'Systems, Administration', 'Login Screen'

At first from Grub boot loader Mandriva loaded until the blue screen with the logging window, where my user name was shown.

could just click enter and system continued loading Mandriva with my user environment (no password set/required).

Everything worked fine until decided to set logging to automatic, through 'Systems, Administration', 'Login Screen'

Now at the 'Login Screen' tool we've set the logging into automatic rebooting after 5 seconds.

Now after reboot (day after), I do end up with the user login screen - showing 'automatic login' - then continues into the blue

screen with a circle running around the mouse cursor, but nothing more happens // system stays in this screen.

After rebooting - and when arriving at the user login screen, I do click 'esc' and than more login options appear, ie.

my user name, automatic login and other.

Whatever I try however / do keep returning in some sort of loop after the login screen -- the system remains in the blue screen

with a circle running around the mouse.

Looks like the system doesn;t know where to go / what to do after logon or so ?

Please help --what to do to get ride of the change in the login screen made earlier

I do want to go back to just hitting my user name and see the system continue to start up with my user environment.

(with all my settings / environment as it used to be, before this change in the Login Screen)

-----

What to do ?

Please when advising anything with command strings and such // please give me a full description what to do, where and when

with complete instructions and commands to type.

I'm where it come to linux-commands really a novice and have no experience.

Please when replying - place a copy of the reply in an email to my mail account so I can print it at work

as my pc doesn't allow me anything now as per this issue.

---- fredkreyen@gmail.com ----

==================================

Hope to get reactions,

Thanks in advance,

RGDS

Fred

In meanwhile have tried through safe mode;

in safe mode //typed 'init 3' -- next entered username and typed startx

system started normal with my environment // all ok.

But then -- have opened MCC --> boot // have set choice to autologin (for my username/Gnome)

and rebooted -- however this time system remains hanging in a black screen with circle

around mouse cursur running. ??

So thru safe mode / init 3 / startx --- all went fine, but following the setting at MCC it goes wrong again....

--------------------

Have checked 'etc/sysconfig/autologin' and that file shows aline 'autologin=yes' (nothing more.

By the looks of it it seems that the issue is related to not starting the graphical environment after the login ??

So should there be some where some entry that tell the system to start the graphical environment. ?

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

in meanwhile I can start the system using safe mode // type'init 3' //enter user name //type 'startx'

system than continues with a black screen with blue circle spinning around the mouse cursor and after

a short while just starts my normal environment / and all is as it should be.

Have also done following:

in a console; typed 'su - gedit /etc/sysconfig/autologin' and put no into the one and only line in the

file autologin // hence shows now as 'autologin=no'

next I've opened MCC--> Software Management --> Install & Remove Software...

put both dropdown mwnu's on 'All' en entered as search 'autologin' -- and removed the file.

next I've entered in a terminal; 'rpmdb -v --rebuilddb' --> to rebuild the RPM database.

Restarted the system // same result again - ie. remains stuck at the black screen with blue circle spinning around the mouse cursor"

When rebooting using safe mode

// type'init 3' //enter user name //type 'startx' system than continues with a black screen with blue circle spinning around the

mouse cursor and after a short while just starts my normal environment / and all is as it should be.

Any one any suggestions ??

Looks to me as if somewhere in a file the initiation to start the graphical environment is missing (startx ??)

Question is what file in the start up cycle drives starting the graphical environment the way as thru safe mode is done with 'startx' ?

Suggestions ???

RGDS

Fred

Problem solved with the help from Maurice of MC.NL

It seemed that during my upgrade installation the package xdm not was installed and most likely gdm incorrectly installed.

hence have installed xdm and removed -and reinstalled gdm package through MCC.

All of the system functions normally now.

Cheers,

Fred