"Leave" doesn't work in 2010 Spring

AussieJohn

Click on "Leave" either from the desktop right click menu or from the Menu button, opens the pop-up menu appears. Clicking on any of the selections such as Logging out or Reboot closes the Menu but produces no result. To achieve either choice requires doing Ctrl+Alt+F2. This problem existed in 2010.1-rc2 so I was amazed that it still existed in the final release. As with the other 2010-Spring problem in another post, this problem has appeared in all three clean reinstalls. I have no such problem with 2010.0

Please, any ideas anyone ???.

Cheers. John.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Try installing etc-update and then run this to see if there are any config files that might need updating. There might be some new config files that require updating to enable some functionality that may have changed with updated versions - but then again I could be wrong. Another easier way could be to provide a listing so we can see what might be:

su (enter root password)
find / -name *.rpmnew

then copy and paste the results here. I know you don't like the console much John :) but this is the only way I can get this listing. If you want to try with etc-update, after installing it:

su (enter root password)
etc-update

and it will prompt you for what to do about config file updates.

strange I just finish the installation, it updated some packages, maybe that's the reason you're not able to leave because as soon as I saw your post I tried to see if I had the same issue, but apparently I don't...I think Ian is right, Mandy updated while installing (clean install) so maybe they already fix it

Some further info.

I set up so I can boot into root.

I find that I can leave and reboot or log out as normal but cannot do the same from my account.

Seems the problem is with my account. Since that is the case, what I don't understand is why so when I have not changed anything from the defaults. And since /home (a separate partition as recommended good practice) has been reformatted each time I did the clean installs there obviously cannot be any carry over of some kind of setting from the previous install. All I have ever done is use MCC to get rid of the Guest account but never touched permissions or anything in relation to my account.

Cheers. John.

• 1 month later...

Hi John - did you eventually get an answer .. I also had a fresh install of 2010.1 and I find that when I shutdown/reboot, and it freezes, I hit the Shift key and it kicks into action, then freezes, hit the shift key and it kicks into action again and then shuts down. I did see that there was a bug report for this, but last time I checked there was no patch released for it ...

Ah - found it .. Bug 5993 http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2010.1_Errata#Reboot_.2F_Shutdown_locked

https://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=59993

Because it relates to GDM, I'm going to do some investigation into removed GDM ... :unsure:

AussiePete

Edited by PigBucket

Hello AussiePete.

I didn't fix the problem. I just ignored 2010-Spring for a few months then did a clean reinstall with immediate update of packages and so the problem hasn't occurred since.

I have 2010.1-Spring as an alternative OS but am currently mainly using 2010.0-Official. I am keeping both up to date.

Out of curiousity, whereabouts are you located in OZ ???.

Cheers. John.

Brissy ...

I've got 2010.1 (KDE) as my latest install, but it's only in a small partition so I'm not doing much with it ... My main linux version is 2009.1 (KDE) which I use pretty regularly along with Windows. Still use Windows quite regularly ... havn't been able to convince the non computer types in the family that "all will be well" without Windows... never mind - horses for courses...

Peter.