Installng kernal source?

I am getting really confused with this kernal thing. I go to the package installer thing in the Mandrake Control Center and I search for 2.4.22 (because thats the kernal version as far as I know) so then it returns a bunch of packages, ive installed two but everyone I install can no longer be found in the package installer search and I searched the root directory for both "2.4.22" and "Kernal" and it cant find either of the ones I installed. Any ideas?

You need kernel-source-2.4.blahblah

Of course you already have kernel-2.4.blahblah installed or you wouldn't be in Linux. :)

While searching, make sure it exactly matches the number in the output of

uname -r

including the 'mdk' but not 'smp' or 'i686-up', etc if you have one of those installed.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

I am a complete Newbie can you guys please try to put things into "idiot terms" and explain so I actually learn somthing. I am basicly trying to install my ethernet card drivers and I was told that I would have to "patch the kernel" or somthing on those lines. Can someone tell me what they would do if they were just starting off and had a fresh install of linux?

-Neocytrix

Okay, let's start again ;)

Basically, the files you installed are the various different kernel binaries (the executable programs) that come with Mandrake. There are a few different types and it appears that you installed them all. That's okay, it shouldn't matter. What you really wanted to do was install the kernel source RPM for the kernel you are actually using. A source RPM contains the source code that was originally compiled to produce the executable that you are running. It's my guess that you need to make some changes to the source code (by patching it) and then re-compile it to produce a kernel that works with your driver. Please ask if there is something you would like us to clarify.

Go to the following web site:

ftp://klobouk.fsv.cvut.cz/pub/linux-mandr...6/Mandrake/RPMS

and download the following file:

kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk.i586.rpm

This is the file that contains the actual source code for the kernel. Install this file. Note that any other Mandrake mirror will have this file available for download. I generally use the eastern European sites because when it's evening here (North America) it is early morning there and I tend to get great download speeds.

Now, you should be able to find the kernel sources you are looking for.

Once you've done this please let us know what the instructions for installing your driver says and we'll try to help you with that as well.

Good Luck,

Glitz.

Edited by Glitz

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH GLITZ, the kernel is finally installed where it has to be :D. Now I printed out a readme that came with my drivers for my NIC card so I followed the instructions (copy the file to my hard drive>go to konsole and change directory to the directory where the driver is>type "tar zxvf 3c2000.tag.gz"> type "cd 3c200">type "make load" ) then it does a bunch of stuff im guessing its loading it in, however it then comes up with an error saying "make:***[load] Error 127.

These are the last lines that I get

In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/asm/semaphore.h:39,

from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/fs.h:204,

from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/capability.h:17,

from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,

from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/sched.h:9,

from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/mm.h:4,

from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/slab.h:14,

from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/proc_fs.h:5,

from skproc.c:73:

/usr/src/linux/include/asm/system.h: In function `__set_64bit_var':

/usr/src/linux/include/asm/system.h:194: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules

/usr/src/linux/include/asm/system.h:194: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -DMODULE -I. -DSK_USE_CSUM -I /usr/src/linux/include -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -DMODVERSIONS -D__SMP__ -c -o skcsum.o skcsum.c

In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/asm/semaphore.h:39,

from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/fs.h:204,

from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/capability.h:17,

from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,

from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/sched.h:9,

from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/mm.h:4,

from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/slab.h:14,

from h/skdrv1st.h:160,

from skcsum.c:116:

/usr/src/linux/include/asm/system.h: In function `__set_64bit_var':

ld -r -o 3c2000.o skge.o skaddr.o skgehwt.o skgeinit.o skgepnmi.o skgesirq.o ski2c.o sklm80.o skqueue.o skrlmt.o sktimer.o skvpd.o skxmac2.o skproc.o skcsum.o

insmod 3c2000.o

make: insmod: Command not found

make: *** [load] Error 127