Pulseaudio Removal Petition

prost

Sorry to say that the reasoning in that petition is naive and inconclusive, to say the very least. If you demand A you should say what the specific probems with A are, and not just "PulseAudio does not work".

If the petition was put in a more "professional" and logical way, I would gladly sign it, although I do not use either Mandriva, or PulseAudio.

If the petition was put in a more "professional" and logical way, I would gladly sign it, although I do not use either Mandriva, or PulseAudio.

Then why would you sign for the removal of something you do not use?

Then why would you sign for the removal of something you do not use?

I would have preferred if it gave some proper arguments for it's removal. For example, there is a severe lack of volume control in pulseaudio, and you still have to use alsamixer to be able to change your volume levels to an acceptable level. Now I've got to use a combination of tools for my volume instead of one. For me, pulseaudio is working perfectly fine with all my apps so far - although it has been far far worse, and especially with Ubuntu and OpenSUSE, every time the sound kicked in for something you would get an audible click from the speakers which is very bad.

I'm not signing it because it's floored and there is no real argument for it's removal other than "it doesn't work". But, generally it does, there are just niggles and things that don't or require a lot of work to get going correctly. I have it working good in Gentoo with no audible clicks or anything like that, and the only problem was getting the volume level set correctly, which as I mentioned, required alsamixer because pulseaudio volume control on it's own is crap.

The Linux sound system is a complete mess. It's not just PulseAudio.

Perhaps a petition to simplify and generally fix the state of sound in Linux would be better, and more widely supported. Especially amongst audiophiles.

The Linux sound system is a complete mess. It's not just PulseAudio.

That about sums up my feelings on this topic. And I don't think signing petitions will do any good. Kernel development has been driven by the commercial linux companies that market to the enterprise like RH, Novel, IBM, Oracle, etc. Servers don't need sound and the big names in kernel development aren't going to devote any resources to linux sound development; they have their own agenda.

• 2 weeks later...

In French, we have a saying: “jeter le bébé avec l’eau du bainâ€, which translates to “to throw out the baby along with the bath's waterâ€.

It means: In your hurry to dispose of what you don't want to keep, you carelessly loose something you had better kept.

I think that is what happens with PulseAudio detractors. They stumbled on problems with their setup and decided PulseAudio is bad.

— So, PulseAudio doesn't let the user configure individually the 20 different Alsa sliders? That's by design for “normal users†(not us).

— PulseAudio doesn't let you use the whole amplitude of your hardware sound volume range? That's caused by inaccuracy in Alsa drivers. Removing PulseAudio won't rectify the faulty drivers.

I could probably go on like that, if I knew PulseAudio and its issues better. Why should it suffer from the faults of the APIs (notably ALSA) it is based upon? Isn't it better to correct the underlying APIs?

Of course, PulseAudio has its own bugs, certainly, but then, see the French saying above…

As simple users of our computers (we're not into A/V programming), my wife (newbie) and I both appreciate Pulse audio simplicity along with neat abilities:

— choose where we hear sound depending on the application (film -> TV, game -> comp. screen),

— move sound from one speaker set to another,

— occasionally move sound from one machine to another (eg: from laptop to desktop -> HiFi)

— record from the monitor of a soundcard (loopback recording).

Yves.

In French, we have a saying: “jeter le bébé avec l’eau du bainâ€, which translates to “to throw out the baby along with the bath's waterâ€.

It means: In your hurry to dispose of what you don't want to keep, you carelessly loose something you had better kept.

Yves: we have that saying in English, too: to throw the baby out with the bath water, to be exact... :)