Unable to mount DVDROM or CD-RW in Mandriva 2010

Guest DaveC.hh

Guest DaveC.hh

I'm new to Mandriva. It was all going really well until I tried to read a CDROM with photographs (JPG format written on my son's XP running computer). I have signed in as superuser and gone into the Mandriva Linux Control Centre. This recognises the CD-RW as and ATPI and that it is /dev/sr1 in the old device file. Switching to the DVDROM it recognises it as a Sony and it is /dev/sr0.

Trying either I get an unable to mount from the file system.

I have tried a search for Mount CDROM, I've not recognised any of the threads as covering my problem (might be my unfamiliarity with Mandriva).

If anyone has a suggestion I'll give it a try.

Many thanks

DaveC.hh

Do you know which application was used in XP to burn the disk?

It should be some application using ISO9660 filesystem plus Joliet extensions. If it was burned using a packet writer, the reading it under Linux is troublesome- or rather not really worth trying.

also if you put a restrictions to normal users or if configure the DVDrom that way you could also have problems with the DVD mounting automatically, I've done it my self and I realize I didn't wanted that kind of restrictions, maybe you set it up on mandy's control center where it says security, also on local disk I thing is called...you can configure it using GUI. B).

I also agree with scarecrow it could be something related w/ the format..

Guest DaveC.hh

Many thanks for the replies.

I do not know what was used to write the CD. I have tried to read others that I know were written using CD writing software - none will mount. Also tried to mount without any disc in and again it does not mount (but then perhaps it is not meant to when there is no media present).

My installation was straight from a CD written as an ISO using Ubuntu's CD writing software -that CD will not mount either. I'm due to install on another computer. Does the straight install usually leave the CDR-W and DVDROM mountable without going into any of the configuration software?

Many thanks

DaveC.hh

Does the straight install usually leave the CDR-W and DVDROM mountable without going into any of the configuration software?

yes, mandriva by default leave the CD/DVD rom mountable, as far as I know...maybe is something misconfigured...make sure in mandy's control center, where it says local disk you'll see your DVD/CD drive and you can configure, mk sure you let normal users( "ordinary users" as they call it) be able to mount the drive and that it could be accessed by them...also take a look at your security level...that's something I modified to try how it works and it also affects the permissions to the drive