Get Mandrake 9.2 at the newspaper stand!

aRTee

I just noticed this week that here in the German speaking part of Switzerland (at all Kiosks -- newspaper stands/shops) a quarterly magazine called "Linux+ Extra! Pack" this quartal (until the end of February 2004!) sports the full Mandrake Linux 9.2 Download Edition, including all three download cd's plus 4 extra cd's with applications. Price: 20 CHF, and according to the magazine cover the price is 10,50 euro in Germany and 12 euro in Austria. Forgot if any other countries are mentioned.

The 'magazine' has some (very few) pages mainly on installation and whatnot, but nothing more than what's needed to get people started with the cd's.

So this is good news for all those who don't have the bandwidth to download!

Could it be that we are seeing-- dare I say it!--- Marketing from Mandrake?!? :o

B)

It may be :P But well, it's an excellent way for the people who aren't on broadband yet - or are just too lazy - to discover the magical world of Mandrake :jester:

Ix,

I'm afraid not; Mandrake probably gets nothing out of these sets, except new users and more spreading.

I'd think that most people who pay these few euros consider they have paid in full, and are not so likely to take a membership or so. They will surely not buy a pack from Mandrake...

I just hope that some will get a membership...

Pierre, thanks for your answer. 8 euro is really very cheap.

iNFERiON, almost forgot: welcome to the board!

And yes, it is really a good way for those without broadband to get started on linux/Mandrake.

Ix,

I'm afraid not; Mandrake probably gets nothing out of these sets, except new users and more spreading.

But that is marketing! Getting the distro out to the masses is how the new business model will work. Memberships into a special club will not generate long term capital. Common usage, education and training, not to mention IT business professionals is where Mandrake should build. The more familiar people become with linux amd Mandrake, the better.

True.

But the real deal comes from preinstalled preconfigged systems.

I guess a large (even non-paying) userbase helps out to convince those oems that Mandrakee is a good choice.

My point was that getting these packs on the magazine stands quite likely has no direct financial benefit for Mandrake, which would have been a nice plus...

Hi everyone following this thread,

For those of you "en France"*, "in der deutschsprechigen Teil der Schweiz"* und "in Oesterreich und Deutschland"*, I am curious as a Texan and Houstonian whether the seven discs include all the commerical apps and other goodies that are in the 7 CD PowerPack.

The only chance of getting CD's or DVD's with lots of stuff on them are from the Linux Format magazine from the UK which I can pick up here in Houston at MicroCenter. It's December issue was to include MDK9.2 Download Edition (but only the 3 CD's).

It seems all the American computer magazines quit long ago including CD's with goodies.

Happy New Year!

[*NOTE for the English speaking: the above say in French and German the European locations mentioned in the prior messages of this thread]

Cheers,

Richard L.

A friend wanted a copy of Mandrake, and over Christmas it would take long to send it, so I asked him to buy this mag, use it and then pass it to me.

As soon as I get it I can tell you. I would think the non-gpl stuff is included, but no real commercial (costly) apps, so just java, flash, realplayer, extra kernels, maybe plf stuff and loads of things from contrib.

BTW for an American from Houston/Texas you do speak a long way from home -- both german and french... :D