installing aureal soundcard

caddyman379

Could you tell us how you compiled and installed please? Tarballs? rpms? Rebuild sources?

I'm asking because an rpm file should do everything for you. If it doesn't, the readme for the file should tell what else needs to be done. Actually, a "make install" will usually do everything too.

Yes Im sorry, I installed it from a tarball, I ran make then make install. The instructions say to add it too modules.conf.. But it didnt say how exactly i do that.. Anyway, when i just started my machine up now it said loading midi... and said something about this was compiled using gcc 2 and its being comiled using gcc3 this is known not to work. qoute. what does that mean? i compiled the drivers on gcc3...

Thye drivers for the aureal soundcard are part pre-compiled binary and this is why you are gettign the gcc error

It is likely that this won't work I'm afraid. Apparently, the aureal soundcards are supported in the latest version of Alsa - you could try and explore that.

To answer your question though, you need to find out the name of the module (it shoul say this in the docs. You can then check if it works by running

modprobe <module-name>

replacing <module-name> with the name of your module.

If that works then you simply add the name of the module at the end of modules.conf