• KDE
    • WindoMaker
    • Other

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried Ion. Didn't like it, but I didn't give it a fair chance either. I prefer my eye-candy Gnome.

On one of my older systems (I just got two of them, IIRC they are both P233s) I use Blackbox through VNC.

I tried Ion. Didn't like it, but I didn't give it a fair chance either.

Same here :o What is that...that....that, thing? A wm? There wasn't....well, anything :lol: /uninstalled B)

BTW, I can't change my vote from gnome but I'm all kde now. Lost all my good stuff and don't feel like spending the time to get it back. I know....bkup!....the tarball was there but I forgot to transfer it through the network :wall: /formated over it. So, it's kde4me :D ...for now.

I use KDE on my desktop because I like the feel and look of it very much.

Gnome on my very old laptop because I wanted to test it to (can't get it to work on my desktop).

Been thinking about trying Fluxbox on my very old laptop, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Hi there,

first, it's "Window Maker" and not "WindoMaker". ;) Second, you're comparing apples to oranges, here. Window Maker is nothing but a window manager, as are Fluxbox, Ion, and XFCE4 (among others mentioned in this thread). GNOME and KDE are both desktop environments and application frameworks. Hence, if you include Window Maker in that poll, you'd have to write "sawfish" instead of "GNOME" and "kwin" instead of "KDE" as those are the default window managers with those environments. Anyway.

I usually use GNUstep as my main application framework / desktop environment, with Window Maker as window manager. As GNUstep is still rather, shall we say experimental? as a desktop environment, there aren't too many applications around, hence I need to use loads of application wrappers. But at least the look and feel is consistent. ;)

-Sascha.rb

KDE since day one..........still stuck in KDE land. tried Gnome a few times, but i didn't like it at all. toy with Flux now & then, but it's still a bit beyond my comprehension, usabilty wise. same with WindowMaker. so, i'm content & quite happy with my KDE.

Chris

Hi there,

first, it's "Window Maker" and not "WindoMaker". ;) Second, you're comparing apples to oranges, here. Window Maker is nothing but a window manager, as are Fluxbox, Ion, and  XFCE4 (among others mentioned in this thread). GNOME and KDE are both desktop environments and application frameworks. Hence, if you include Window Maker in that poll, you'd have to write "sawfish" instead of "GNOME" and "kwin" instead of "KDE" as those are the default window managers with those environments. Anyway.

I usually use GNUstep as my main application framework / desktop environment, with Window Maker as window manager. As GNUstep is still rather, shall we say experimental? as a desktop environment, there aren't too many applications around, hence I need to use loads of application wrappers. But at least the look and feel is consistent. ;)

-Sascha.rb

First, desktop includes all. It doesn't ask what de you use.

Second, no one should be comparing with each other.....it's just a poll where ppl state what they use.

Third, sawfish and kwin are useless on their own so they couldn't be listed on thier own.

We download

WindowMaker... so one word is fine.....it's just mispelled in the poll.

:D

Good morning everybody,

We download

WindowMaker. so one word is fine.....it's just mispelled in the poll.

Oop, sorry about, should have been a bit clearer with that one. I was only referring to the typo, not the space (even though the WM guys needed to change the name to Window Maker with a space included due to copyright restrictions).

As for the rest of your post--you're right, of course. I was just goofing off, hence the smileys. ;) Still, I am always surprised how many users believe they can't use GNOME or KDE applications whithout actually using the GNOME / KDE desktop environments ... hence I felt like I needed to add that bit to the current thread.

-Sascha.rb

Tried both KDE and Gnome. Gnome first, then KDE.

KDE gets the nod since its better equipped for handling themes and theme changes.

Tried both KDE and Gnome. Gnome first, then KDE.

KDE gets the nod since its better equipped for handling themes and theme changes.

I could careless if you use kde, but what do you mean by "handling themes and theme changes"??

I always found it pretty simple to change a theme in Gnome, are you speaking on a deeper level?