• Gnome
    • KDE
    • WindoMaker
    • Other

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gnome, because it looks hot, and Novell is doubling the number of paid developers for Gnome, plus it's an official GNU project, and because the bounties out there that are being hunted are going to improve Gnome's tightness with my favorite apps, such as Evolution and Gaim.

I use KDE but only until GNOME catches up. Using a linux app that isn't based completely on 'free oss' worrys me... who knows when or if the owners of those 'loaned libraries' will decide they want a piece of the action and ask for royalities? After all, we can't expect everyone to be as kind to the OSS community as Sun was when they donated the StarOffice code (but not the name) so development in the OS community coule continue under a different name while they turned it into a 'corporate' product...

Sooo... as much as I may like KDE (for now) my site is set on GNOME... i cant' wait till they have some apps that rival KOOKA, K3B and a few others that I find to be 'best of class' for their functionality..

Other=

Now im using Enlightenment 0.16.6 a while back used XFce4 for about 2 months and a while back used Fluxbox for about 2 month too, before those i used KDE, wich i didnt like coz it was way to heavy and way to similar to windows, but i was too much of a newbee to be jumping from a desktop to another...

Anyway, i started trying E16 a couple of days ago so i cant say much, except is the best WM i have tryed yet... and i will try E17 this hollidays...

Other=

Now im using Enlightenment 0.16.6 a while back used XFce4 for about 2 months and a while back used Fluxbox for about 2 month too, before those i used KDE, wich i didnt like coz it was way to heavy and way to similar to windows, but i was too much of a newbee to be jumping from a desktop to another...

Anyway, i started trying E16 a couple of days ago so i cant say much, except is the best WM i have tryed yet... and i will try E17 this hollidays...

Good luck with E17, its very very different. I am going to jump onto the E17 CVS when I get my new lappy.

The first I used was KDE, as with everyone. I got sick of it very quickly, looked at GNOME and hated it. I tried this wierd thingo called Enlightenment and I was hooked. I used this for a few months, then this Fluxbox came by. I tried that and got hooked on it too. Mainly coz I was sick of my E16 themes and the interface. Ive been using Flux mainly since then, with occasional uses of GNOME and once a stint on XFCE4. I tend to mix and match too, Gnome panel in fluxbox and the like.

ATM im fluxbox with GNOME panels.

I use to hate nautilus but like everything else in gnome it takes a little setting up.Once you do and you master its drag and drop capabilities it's actually awesome IMO.

Why do I read so many posts about how peeps dont like nautilus? I think its nifty, heck, its borderline swell :screwy: