What desktop do you use?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. What desktop do you use?

• Gnome
    • KDE
    • WindoMaker
    • Other

Hey All,

After using KDE since RH 7.2, i switched to Gnome. but these days i use xfce on mandrake 9.2,

it isnt that bad, if anyone knows of another Window Manager that is like this, small and powerfull yet funky enough to customize then id like to know about it,

also i am fond of Running TWM with the gnome-panel

Enjoy !!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i actually used to have a link t a page that had a whole list of DE's and WM's, let me see if i can find it for ya...

http://xwinman.org/ <-has an extensive list of WM's and DE's, I haven't used much aside from gnome, xfce4, kde, and fluxbox myself...but that should give you a good start of things to check out :)

oh yes, and welcome to the board!

Edited by tyme

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

KDE, Gnome and Blackbox.

I stick with KDE for ~70% of my work and like its easy customizing and good integration of kontact etc.

Yeah, Gnome (~20%) has Ximian-mail as alternative, but I found customizing Gnome always a bit... :wall: . What really annoyed me is that all my KDE-Desktop-icons appear on my Gnome-Desktop (two dustbins... how stupid...) Best thing about Gnome is its logo, I must admit.

If I want a real minimalistic desktop that starts immediatly, I use good old blackbox (with a flat gray-theme).

Tried Windowmaker several times and didn't really like its look and feel.

And Enlightenment was something I could and can never love... It was like a hate relationship right from the beginning, but don't aks me why. XFCE4 is better, but ... three desktopenvironments is enough. ;)

Yesterday I finally understood Fluxbox on my old low-spec laptop... and it's sooo fast. I need to learn more!

Anyone know of any good links on howto's and clues on fluxbox? (besides the official site...)

When I was using Red Hat 7 and 8 at work I swore by Gnome, but I have to say for now I am in to KDE, very pleased with the way it has progressed and very speeedy. Of course, that could change with little provocation, but for now I am happy in KDE-land.

Yesterday I finally understood Fluxbox on my old low-spec laptop... and it's sooo fast. I need to learn more!

Anyone know of any good links on howto's and clues on fluxbox? (besides the official site...)

http://aslan.no-ip.com/~iphitus/misc/fluxboxFAQ.html

I am still working on it, however it will be put in the FAQs here on completion.

If you are looking at icons on the desktop, get fbdesk, if you are looking to edit your menus and keybard shortcuts, either edit them manually in

/home/topdog/.fluxbox/menu

/home/topdog/.fluxbox/keys

Or you can grab fluxconf, which is a GUI config tool for these and many other fluxbox options. There are rpms floating around, i am sure they are in the mirrors, if not, try http://rpmfind.net