Can't load java plugin for Firefox

Penguin Geek

Hi all,

I've searched the web and the forum here for an answer, but can't see to find anything like this. I have done this setup before numerous times, but it's just not working this time. I downloaded the latest java jre (1.6.0.12) from the control center. I follow the instructions on Java's website which is the same as Mozilla's website. As root, I ran from the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory (where my other plugins are installed):

ln -s /usr/java/latest/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

I restarted firefox, and java is still not loading. I found a /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.3 directory, but there is no plugins directory. I tried creating one and putting the plugin there, but still no luck. Any ideas?

I have that plugin package already, it was a dependency package. The problem was linking the .so file so Firefox recognizes it. I got an answer through my LUG on Google Groups. Apparently, Sun has changed what .so file you need to link to. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1576825

The correct library to link to now is libnpjp2.so, located in /usr/java/latest/lib/i386/

I ran this command while in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory, and it worked:

ln -s /usr/java/latest/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so .

Speaking of java with 2010.1 cooker, I can't find java-1.6.0-sun-plugin in the 2010.1 repositories. Is it still being packaged? How do I enable java for Firefox in Cooker? Can I use java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin instead?

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?/topic/103893-unrar-in-cooker/page__pid__683563__st__0entry683563

Jim