Which Mandrake is Best

grendal

Now that just about everyone who wanted 9.2 probally has it and has played around with it, I was wondering which version of mandrake does everyone think is the best? 9.2? 9.1? 8.x? I still think of myself as a newbie, but As with any change is an OS I find things I like in the new and miss from the old. Right now I'm running 9.2, but I must say I think 9.1 may have been better, at least for me and that got me wondering what others here thought? No I don't care what version of Redhat-debian-Gentoo is better, what does everyone consider the best Mandrake release?

First of, you shouldn't be missing anything. One of the first things I noticed is that a lot less stuff is installed by default, but it should all be there on the CD's. Browse around the woftware installer and then decide what you think.

As for me, 9.2 is the best yet.

me too.

I've installed is upgrading from 9.1 and I almost had no problem with it at install and none at all using it

roland

Hey, Roland,

I don't think we should encourage people new to Linux to use the upgrade option. At least not until it's better.

:juggle:

me too.

I've installed is upgrading from 9.1 and I almost had no problem with it at install and none at all using it

roland

Hey, Roland,

I don't think we should encourage people new to Linux to use the upgrade option. At least not until it's better.

:juggle:

You are right. I should have put a warning:

It worked fine with me but it's just me

roland

Guest Adriano

I also think 9.2 is the best of them all, with 8.2 coming in as a close second. 8.2 was much more polished at arrival, in my opinion; 9.2 is just plain amazing but unpolished.

I have learned to accept and correct Mandrake's quirks everytime I install, e.g. there's suddenly no sound (aumix is muted); the root's default theme is hideous (ln -s /usr/share/themes/Galaxy...) etc. I just apply the updates and get on with it. Of course, I have a DSL connection, otherwise my opinion would be quite different.

For me, the real question is "when does Mandrake 10 arrive?" I want a stable, easy to use 2.6 based distro. I think I could even pay for it.

I think ML10 is the best ;) ...Oh, but that's not a final.....umm...ok, then 9.2 is then, by far....for me at least. Key words here are 'for me'. Mention 8.1 and many cringe. It had its bug like all other distros but for a linux of its 'era'....not too bad, IMO. Look at those that had great experiences with 9.1 and 9.2 flopped. Also, do you mean out of the box?....or after updates? Big difference there. Of course with mandrake, out of the box means nothing and doesn't count, though it should.