Knoppix Rules

iphitus

I tell you what, is knoppix just an amazing piece of work or what?

Its fabulous!!!

I decided to download and test this wonder today, my father wont let me install linuxon his good laptop, so i decided to run Knoppix :D

It booted up in less time than a default Mandrake install on a more powerful box of my friend's, and quicker than it took me to eat a toasted chicken sandwhich. And im no slow eater!

Hardware

It detected every piece of herdware perfectly, even the dodgy USB expander, which plugs into a USB port and gives oyu lots more USB and serial, parallel etc. It took dad and I weeks to get it running. All devices on this are working beautifully. :thumbs:

You can also make a home partition on a compact flash card, sd card, in the windows partition, even on a zip disk. :lol:

Software

THis is one of the most amazing parts! There is a MASSIVE amount of software on it. I dont know how they fitted it on 1 CD. Software loads very quickly, a very minor difference in speet to that of a native system. Mozilla & OOo & Gaim load faster than the windows versions on this machine

The amount of software is just amazing!! There is everything you could think of. I mean it!!! there is Everything!!! More software on this one CD than on all 3 of Mandrake's!!! It has servers like SSH, Samba, terminal server, apache and more!! It runs KDE 3.1.4. B) :cheesy:

THe only weakness in this area is the lacking of mplayer, however Xine does the job well.

Speed

I've said above, this shing is fast, faster than the locally installed windows. Things load quickly and are not at all sluggish. Although I doubt this would be the case if you had less than 128mb ram :headbang:

Test System

Laptop

Pentium 1.6ghz

512mb ram

30gb HDD

ATI Radeon Mobility M6

Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio

Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller

WOW!!!

Summary

Knoppix is amazing, A must have! It's software range is enourmous, I started to make a list but it was taking too long. It boots up very fast and is very stable. There is a neglible speed difference when starting programs compared to a locally installed Linux. Hardware suuport so far is very good, I will try it on my new laptop when it comes as it has some unusual hardware.

10/10

'll be carrying this CD with me for a while, until the next version comes out!

:afro::headbang: :D

Edit: It did mount the NTFS partition. I was incorrect.

Edited by iphitus

Knoppix Rules

THat is a tragic understatment. I've said it before and I'll probably say it again. There are a number of "live CD" os's and every single person on the planet who owns a PC with a CDrom drive should have at least one of them.

I have not had the pleasure of trying PClinuxOS or mandarke move yet as I am on a 56k modem, and recently spent every penny I have and then some on an engagement ring.

I have not had the pleasure of trying PClinuxOS or mandarke move yet as I am on a 56k modem, and recently spent every penny I have and then some on an engagement ring.

Knoppix is a very good resource for troubleshooting and performing a demo on Linux. Knoppix is also a painless way to install Debian, just install Knoppix to your HD.

http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

Also, congrats on your engagement, VeeDubb. :D