eth0 fails

samer1275

Hello,

I have recently switched over from RedHat 8.0 to Mandrake 9.2

Unfortunately, I can't get my internet connection to work with Mandrake.

Upon loading, eth0 fails immediately, as if it wasn't trying to search for it. When I pop in my Knoppix CD, the internet works fine.

What do you think is wrong?

Thanks,

Samer

This statement may sound cruel, smarta$$, or whatever, but....I know this is your first post here, but if you've used Redhat before and Knoppix, then you should know how to ask for help correctly, one would think. Try reading your post and see if you can see anything in it that would allow anyone here to help you properly.

• Which network card are you using?
  • PCI, USB, other?
  • Which driver are you using?
  • Do you know if the driver is loaded (lsmod)?
  • What have you tried to get it working?

Well maybe I can be of a little more help. When you installed Mandrake did you set up your network card to use dhcp? To find out go to k menu -> configuration and down to configure your computer and then click Network & Internet and than Drakeconnect. See what is says and then if its not dhcp then click on lauch the wizard and it will walk you through it.

Hopes this helps you a bit.

Sorry, but I'm just frustrated that it didn't work right away.

The card is a 3com... I checked with Knoppix, which works, and it seems to be using the 3c59x driver

Mandrake was using the same driver. the file modules.conf had the line

alias eth0 3c59x

and it is set up for DHCP. I go to the wizard, hit connect but it doesn't connect.

Thanks

By the way, the reason I didn't provide important info before is that I did not know about all that stuff.

I've always had ethernet, and I've always been able to connect Linux to the internet without any modifications. So I had absolutely no need to know any networking stuff.

But I just don't understand why Mandrake fails when others had no problems. And my card is very common.

no need to say sorry. I can see how you wouldn't know with some of the great distros out there that do just about everything for ya. I'm rather new to the network thing myself and I'm having a similar prob with suse9 except it'll connect to the internet but email will not work. Long story....another thread....not here.

I'd suggest turning off the firewall (shorewall) in the Mandrake Control Center>System>DrakXServices and try again just to see if it's the prob. If it is, we can go from there. Also when you do

ifconfig -a

and

route

in a terminal as root, does everything look rt as far as ip addresses and default routes and gateways?

Edited by bvc

There was a recurring problem in 9.1 with certain nics that could only be solved by passing the "noapic" option at boot. Otherwise the nic wouldn't work. If your using lilo, you can test to see if this helps by rebooting and hitting the Esc key as soon as you see the lilo boot menu which will take you to a boot prompt. Type "linux noapic" w/o quotes at the prompt and hit Enter. Test to see if your nic works. If it does, post back. It's easy to make passing the noapic option permanent if it does.

I have no firewall set up, so I don't think that is the problem,

when I do an ifconfig, I get the following:

Linnk encomp: ethernet HWaddr

UP BROADCAST RUNNING Multicast MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX Packets: 3061 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0

Interrrupts: 10 Base address: 0xef00

Something like that. Does this mean anything?

Thanks

Sorry, I was trying to give pointers about how to ask for help without being too much of a jerk.

Do you have a file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0? If so, what does it look like? If you do

lsmod

as root, do you see the 3c59x driver loaded? If so, try to do (once again as root);

ifup eth0

and see if you get anything. Post any errors you get there. Also, check in /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages and see if you can see any errors where eth0 fails and post those also.

Thanks.

Ahhh...there's your problem. Try editing that file as root and making it say:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
NEEDHOSTNAME=no

Assuming that your netmask is 255.255.255.0

Also, you may or may not need MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no or NEEDHOSTNAME=no