Installing to an External Hard drive

Guest MrD.

Guest MrD.

Hi, I'm looking for some advice really.

I have Windows 7 installed on the internal hard drive in my machine and want to install Mandriva on an external hard drive so I can use it for development purposes as and when required, so I want it installed, but not set-up to be a dual boot with Windows.

Essentially, if the external hard drive is connected, I want it to boot Mandriva, otherwise, I want it to boot Windows.

What would be the best way to install Mandriva to the external hard drive such that it doesn't touch the MBR of the internal hard drive at all? (I know I could fix the internal MBR if it did with fixmbr, but that's a reactive and not a proactive solution)

Thanks.

Just install to the removable drive and write the boot loader to the MBR of the removable drive.

When you wish to boot from the removable drive use the bios or bios hot key to change the boot order/device.

Guest MrD.

And telling it to install the boot loader to the external drive will definitely not affect the MBR of the internal drive? I only ask because I have been reading up on this topic, and have seen many cases where it has despite you not telling it to.