New nvidia driver out - 5328

pmpatrick

Just saw this on the net this morning. The new nvidia driver is out numbered 5328. Anyone tried it yet? I'm downloading it now and will give it a test run after I back up.

Here's the link to the download page:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display...y_ia32_1.0-5328

Edited by pmpatrick

I tried it but can't get it to work. I run the installer and get no errors. As a matter of fact, it doesn't give me the usual "No kernel module was found that matches the running kernel, would you like to attempt to download one?" After which it can't find one and has to compile one. Normally, that is what happens, but it doesn't do that. It says it completed successfully, but trying to start X give me a black screen and Ctrl-Alt-Bksp doesn't kill X and going to Ctrl-Alt-F1 shows that X has died, but I cannot rmmod nvidia, because it tells me it is busy. I finally had to downgrade back to the 4496 or whatever.

Just saw this on the net this morning. The new nvidia driver is out numbered 5328. Anyone tried it yet? I'm downloading it now and will give it a test run after I back up.

Here's the link to the download page:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display...y_ia32_1.0-5328

Works great for me on Mandrake 9.2, and G4 Ti 4600, but no GUI settings with this one yet.

:angry: I just installed this one and I'm very dissapointed to say that while it installs fine, it only puts up a whopping 5fps from glxgears. totaly owrthless. I get more frames than that with the nv driver. I guess it's rollback time. Boo-hoo.

:oops:

Installed it on LM9.2 (Geforce 3 and dual Celeron 433MHz) and it sapped another 400fps from glxgears in its default window size (2400fps). I get 2800fps on LM8.1 on the same system with the previous drivers.

On the other hand the 2D performance has increased slightly (tested using xmame fullscreen under X11).

Glitz.