Who wants to hosts SuSE9Pro iso's

bvc

well that's all well and good but what make anyone so sure that what I got was iso's untampered from a boxed set? Then I burned and gave to mysti who then made iso's. So even if what I got was from the boxed set you still have third generation data. I think you're wasting time with md5''s on these. If they don't work, they don't work. Do an hd install or something??? Otherwise, sorry....we tried.

Edited by bvc

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know what you get when you download the dvd version?

Just download the small torrent file --- should only be about 20 - 30 Kb. CD to the folder with this file and do this before downloading:

torrentsniff Name_Of_Torrent_File.torrent

and this will tell you what files you will be getting.

What are on the 5cd's , are all 5 needed to say install just a kde desktop?

everything?

you can get kde in the first 2 cd's I'd guess....that's pretty standard for any distro. The question is, how does the installer know what you have. When I installed I had 3 cd's and hadn't burned 4 and 5 yet. The installer never asked which/how many. I can only geuss that it detects the 'pro version' and assumes 5. I managed to not select anything from cd4 and 5 because it never asked for then...yet they where listed as possiblities during package install.

So, you might want to at least have the first 3 because it did ask for it and I didn't select/unselect a lot more/less than the default.

is the ftp that hard? You could do that to get it going and use the cd's for pkgs/extras.

is the ftp that hard?

No, I followed the instructions for the install off www.distrowatch.com .

But ping a few of their ftp sites and look for one with some speed, that's the key, you won't probably get one like this site, for speed that is. 55kb/s was the best I could find at sunet.

If you begin after supper, you can get to the YaST part of the install in probably less then an hour, select your apps, then go to bed. In the morning just do a quick walk through on the hardware, (which is a nobrainer with SuSE), and you'll be good to go.

You could do that to get it going and use the cd's for pkgs/extras

Yes you could, YaST will look after that for you.

Hey just to let eveyone know, I just burned the new iso and rebooted............it booted into the welcome screen, with options to install or boot to hardrive. I think this one is a winner!!! I'm at work, so I can't install here (unless my IT guy gives me the go ahead, but that would mean goodbye Mandy). Thanks everyone, now I can see what SUSE is really like, without a dial-up :wall: install.

I posted about it bvc. I used mkisofs to create the iso's and then found out that wouldn't create a bootable cd. So I redid the first one using dd, burned the iso and was able to boot from it. So I deleted the 1st iso from the server and replaced it with the new iso.

Well I tried to install SuSE and could not get past disk 2. I downloaded it twice but still the .rpms appeard (on my downloads) to be labeled different. Something like shorthand. (IE foobillard1.2.4.rpm would appear as FOOBILL.rpm)

It appears the all the packages in every disk that I downloaded the .rpm's are in UPPERCASE except disk #1. Well you can get a working system with disk #1. Just wondering if its me or if others had the problem.

Thanks anyway for SuSE 9.0

Edited by ac_dispatcher