Who wants to hosts SuSE9Pro iso's

bvc

so did ya? 

Yup :suse: is very nice, I forgot how idiot proof YaST is.

Not to mention how they render fonts and gfx so much better then the rest out of the box.

Im running a higher resolution on :suse: then the others, and the font's are top notch.

Edited by gabbman

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to see what was listed on eBay for Suse 9.0 Pro, and found a seller that is selling 9.0 Pro 5 cd sets, DVD, and a PPC version. The PC CD sets are $9.99 shipped in the USA. No manual(s) or support from Suse. However, I feel that this is good enough for evaluation purposes. I ordered one set, which will be shipped today.

I did not want to shell out $72 + shipping and maybe sales tax for the boxed set, just to learn that it won't play nice with my hardware. (don't know yet, folks.)

Since I have been reading good things about Suse 9.0 here, I figured it is worth a try.

If things work and I really like it, I will purchase the Pro boxed set.

no md5. After I downloaded the iso's and burned them to cd I deleted the file, and the site is no longer available. I then burned cd's for anon to take to mysti on his visit here. Her install went fine as far as I know. I made iso's and was attempting to find somewhere to upload when I asked if mysti would do it since she has server access and anon said it was ok (thanks anon!). She kindly said yes and made the iso's. Do the download at your own risk, or wait for someone to verify all is well.

I use d4x or gftp to download. There's always wget from cli which supports resume, I think....doesn't it? Never had to test that actually.

Edited by bvc

Can someone run the md5sums for the isos on the server and post it so we can at least tell if we got a good download? I'll be glad to post what I get when I finish downloading.

And thanks to all for providing this; that was really nice. :thumbs:

OK. Here's my md5sums:

e5f91803b43da07c9e9aaedf73a28ec7 suse9pro-cd1.iso

58e6520afdbf9d25da62c8ef30e212f9 suse9pro-cd2.iso

89b622a5726c9b3ba10f87696cdd147c suse9pro-cd3.iso

9464528ea27449c69e7ffc27d5865ec8 suse9pro-cd4.iso

422c21d0e04bad0605777a16542a9f40 suse9pro-cd5.iso

New Edit:

Burned all the isos but I can't get CD1 to boot. Tried with cdr and cdrw and did md5sums on both burned cds against the downloaded iso md5sum above. They both checked out good. Tried other bootable cds and they booted fine. Created a boot floppy from the bootdisk image on cd1 and it booted and asked me to insert cd1. Did so and got this error message: "Could not find ramdisk image:initrd". Well, I also couldn't find it on cd1. Either I got a bad download or something is wrong with the iso. Could someone post their md5sum for cd1?

Edited by pmpatrick

Can someone run the md5sums for the isos on the server and post it so we can at least tell if we got a good download?

Done.

e5f91803b43da07c9e9aaedf73a28ec7 suse9pro-cd1.iso

58e6520afdbf9d25da62c8ef30e212f9 suse9pro-cd2.iso

89b622a5726c9b3ba10f87696cdd147c suse9pro-cd3.iso

9464528ea27449c69e7ffc27d5865ec8 suse9pro-cd4.iso

422c21d0e04bad0605777a16542a9f40 suse9pro-cd5.iso

As you can see, their the same as yours.

I have a couple of questions:

1. if you do a ftp install of suse how do you install any programs, lin mandrake it's easy and with yast (and the discs) I'm sure suse keeps it simple. But if you install from the net how do you do this? I'm a newbie so maybe it isn't a big deal.

2. Is it possible to do the ftp install, and then create an iso image?

From what I've read it seems like suse is a very good OS, so I stop trying to get it for free and pony up some $$ for it?

okay, someone on the irc channel helped me figure this out. I used mkisofs to create the isos but mkisof doesn't create a bootable disk. dd does. So I created a new ISO, burned it and it booted with no prob. The other cds shoud be fine. I'm going to upload the new cd1 right now. the md5sum for it is 26d1d87e39ca0b58d4437bea53042d07.

Sorry about that. I learned something new.

I have a couple of questions:

1. if you do a ftp install of suse how do you install any programs, lin mandrake it's easy and with yast (and the discs) I'm sure suse keeps it simple. But if you install from the net how do you do this? I'm a newbie so maybe it isn't a big deal.

2. Is it possible to do the ftp install, and then create an iso image?

From what I've read it seems like suse is a very good OS, so I stop trying to get it for free and pony up some $$ for it?

When you go into "yast2" under "install/remove" software and choose something new, it will just go to the ftp server you are using, you can change the location when ever you want, you can change it even if you have the cd's just to make everything netified(??? is that a word???) so you don't have to pull the cd's in/out.

cybrjackal, you can get the md5sum of the original cds without making an iso image by using the rawread script here:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm

The script uses "dd" in conjunction with a block size and volume count from isoinfo to give dead accurate md5sums of cds and to make perfect isos from a cd.

If you could check the md5sums of your original cds using rawread and post the info, that will eliminate any doubt as to whether we have good isos.

grendal, don't have a problem ponying up the $$ for a good distro but would like to try it first and see if I want to use it before coming up with the money.