Who wants to hosts SuSE9Pro iso's

bvc

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes/no/don't know?

my source tells me it's ok...but my source is no lawyer..and I'm no gpl expert. If they want it down, take it down. No biggy. I downloaded them and made cd's. Weeks later I made iso's from the cd's. SuSE doesn't do iso's so they didn't make them.....so why not open source gpl?

It can be private! I just posted public in order to find a hosts. From there all info can be confidential hehehe.............

:woops:

now im confused. at what state did you download SuSe? i have heard that SuSe allows the downloading of the packages individually via ftp (which is what is being pulled by the ftp install) but there are no iso images to speak of. If a user wishes to download everything (or the base package) and create an installer then (i think) they are free to post it to the public (and again i think with a little disclaimer to protect SuSe).

downloading/distributing an image created from the retail version of SuSe would be illegal. not all packages in it are free for redistribution. i am no lawyer (where is jasep and ral when you need some law-talk?) but i think that is a clear violation of the license.

if im wrong, please feel free to correct me.

ciao!

that's the thing....I d/k what the iso's I downloaded were made from.......so?????

host them or don't. It's not for me...I'm on suse rt now....I'm just trying to help out a member.

there has to someone with the space for a day or a few hours.....like I said, it can be a private exchange.

Oh, if you're willing, pm me

Edited by bvc

I hope you find a host for these iso's. I would like to try SuSE, but I'm on dial up at the house, I can Download the iso's at work :D however and burn them :D . canI download SuSE (entire directory) on a windows machine and burn all to cds? then install?? I could do that, but a ftp install on dial up :wall: would take me into the mandy 10.0 relaease or SuSE 9.1 release :wall:

I have read somewhere that SuSe allow you to distribute it, but are kind of quite about this.

exactly what I heard.

here's where I got them....it's down now as well and has been for a while.

ftp.tsinghua.edu.cn/OS/Linux/distribution/

there were about 3 or 4 diff distros there....all gone now.

To throw in my .02, afaik, you can pass along iso's the same as any other distro, you just can't "charge" for them. You can't charge the service of installing or admining over them either. It is really no differnt than grabbing SuSE's boot.iso to ftp install. Obviously with the ftp install, that means all the packages are available to download so you could even go as far as going to ftp.suse.com download the 9.0 dir and make your own iso's. That would suck, but none the less you could do it. :D

Oh, you might also be looking for this:

ftp://ftp.linuxbyte.net/pub/OS_ISOs/

Edited by cybrjackle

:headbang:

I knew you'd show up sooner or later with a new location to iso's.....you distro ho

:headbang:

:screwy:

For others info: distro ho is the one that gave me the url to the iso's I downloaded to make my cd's.....prolly could have guessed that though :joker:

Edited by bvc

Just tried that ftp site... too many connections.

So I thought ( I was gonna suggest Bitorrent in the first place) --- Lets check for a torrent out there. I see SuprNova.org has the 5 CD set and the DVD version that are seeing plenty of action... which will ensure a faster download.

Yeah, the sites have been up and down slow/some what fast for awhile. like scoopy suggest, supernova has had the bittorent up to since it came out so you might be able to nab it from there. Either way, it is a HUGE download so be prepared, bvc can tell you that! :P

I actually recieved my frist copy of it about 3 weeks before it was released in the states via "mail" and I bought a copy after it was released so I could have the DVD, plus it is one of the LInux's that I have supported since I got into it. I own every version from 6.3-9 (except 8.2 had NO $$$)

B)

Any rate, if you can't get the iso's just try and ftp install and see if you like it. You could always buy in the store if you like it. They do still sell it in the store too!