All users hang on logoff

Sam Spastic

The system hangs whenever I or any user logs off. What script should I be looking at to fix this. I couldn't find .xinitrc like I would use on my Mac to start X-Free86 Gnome and Enlightenmant. But I assume it is a similar problem to what I would get if an app was called without exec and it didn't get killed.

Anyway when I log out it looks like everything goes away and I get a blank screeen. I do not see the login script running (the echo to the terminal is not there).

Thanks for any help.

I assume since I normally login to Gnome that its running GDM. But I really don't know. Running Metacity wm.

When this started failing I switched to kde. There was no change to the logoff so I went back to Gnome. I have also tried a shutdown from the menu. The display half crashed. Top half was the login theme background and the bottom half was white. The script finished and shut down the computer tho I couldn't see the script output. I will continue to use the menu shutdown as it seems to not require any repair of the hard drive at boot.

To see which display manager you're using, go to: System - Administration - Configure your computer - then enter your root password and press enter. Choose Boot - Setup display manager. There you can see which manager you're using.