Conexant Modem Drivers For You!

SoulSe

Linuxant have started charging for their conexant modem drivers for Linux. They do offer a free version of the drivers, but they limit the modem's speed to 14.4 - useless.

The windows drivers are free! :wall: Of course, they are produced by the manufacturer and are not third party, so I guess I do understand this.

Anyway, if you don't want to pay for the drivers, I've found the free driver source, which you can download here:

HCF Drivers

-or-

HSF Drivers

Download the hcf or hsf according to your setup and install as follows (you must have the kernel source installed):

$ tar -xzf package.tar.gz
$ cd /directory_that_was_created
$ su
<passwd>
# make install
# hsfconfig _or_ hcfconfig

:thumbs:

hsflinmodem-5.03.27mbsibeta02122600-1.src.rpm

is what I have.

I am very limited on server space (I only get 5MB). So if someone wants to host it that'd be great!. Otherwise I will have to put it up when someone requests it and that's if I have the available space, then remove it in case I need the space :P

well it is source, no? just because it's not available now doesn't mean it wasn't, no? I don't even know if it was ever gpl. Can't be assumed that it was just because the source was made available. There are a few reasons why that may have happened. Either way, we aren't contributing to someones efforts. IMO, if you start a project with the intent to benefit the linux community either finish it or pass it on. Don't pull back and charge $. Don't have the time? Get help or pass it on. There's always people looking to contrib, no?

Hey bvc, I'll host that src RPM - it seems to be a later version then the one I put up there.

DCC it to me next time we're in #musb together, or PM me and I'll organise for you to upload it or something, I'm sure tyme won't mind me pasting it in my space on his server ;)

For those of you wondering: the free drivers from Linuxant work great, but limit you to 14.4 - so if you're happy with that speed then go for it. The official, full-featured drivers go for around $14, which isn't too bad, but Linux is about choice and I see no problems with using the source from when the drivers were free.

NOTE: Linuxant Drivers for Mandrake 9.2 give problems when configuring, I found that the source rpms worked better anyway ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Download the hcf or hsf according to your setup and install as follows (you must have the kernel source installed):

$ tar -xzf package.tar.gz<!--QuoteEBegin-->$ cd /directory_that_was_created<!--QuoteEBegin-->$ su<!--QuoteEBegin--><passwd><!--QuoteEBegin--># make install<!--QuoteEBegin--># hsfconfig _or_ hcfconfig<!--QuoteEBegin-->

:thumbs:

I did use those HSF drivers and I got this

common.mak:11: *** Is the kernel-source package installed? KERNELSRC does not point to a proper directory (/lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/build).  Stop. 
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/dino/hsflinmodem-5.03.27/modules' 
make: *** [install] Error 2

How will I install kernel source?

it's uploaded (hsflinmodem-5.03.27mbsibeta02122600-1.src.rpm -1.6MB) Download it to your home dir>su to root>rpmbuild --rebuild hsflinmodem-5.03.27mbsibeta02122600-1.src.rpm

If all goes well you should find an rpm in /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586 and actually see a line that says:Wrote /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/hsflinmodem<version>.rpm. Then do

rpm -ivh /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/hsflinmodem-5.03.27mbsibeta02122600-1.i586.rpm

(if that's what it ends up being called....been a while so I don't remmeber)

To find the kernel-source, go

http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net/

enter kernel-source to get

http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/ma...10mdk.i586.html

another good place to search for rpm's is

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/2/simple/2

Edited by bvc